Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

Tried to start my 1998 SE andthe engine would not turn over. All lights on dash lit up; when I hit start button, heard it click each time. Was reading previous posts here whichmake me think the problem mightbe corroded cable orbrushes need to be cleaned. (Not sure which "brushes"; guessing in the alternator.)

Themysterious aspectis that the "R" reverse light goes on each time I experience this problem. Yes, I am absolutely certain the reverse is off. I take it out of gear and put it back into gear... and push down on the reverse handle as hard as I can without breaking it.

Then, as mysteriously asthe problemstrikes... the problem disappears. Hasnt happended all weekend so far. Usually strikes once a month. My bikehas 34k miles; complete tune up with all fluids changed and new plugs at 29k.

Thanks a lot....

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

The brushes you saw referenced too are the starter brushes. Sounds more like the starter relay though if you haven't experienced any starter drag. I was thinking you might have a bad reverse switch but I don't think you would have evenhear a "CLICK" if it were. Assuming the "CLICK" is coming from the starter relay. If it's coming from the reverse relay, then it might be a bad reverse switch.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

This sounds more like a faulty reverse switch. If it's sticking on then the bike won't start and the starter relay wiull just click.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

The Clymer manual has a real good section on troubleshooting this issue, mine only covers to '92.

If it continues to be a problem, you may want to look into a manual, either Honda or Clymer.

Good luck

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
I'd spray some lube onto the reverse switch first.
:cooler:Congrats Browan!

That's what I'd do first when a switch acts up. I had a little hang up in my cruise control today, it occasionally didn't want to set. I shot a little WD in the clutch rod hole in the clutch master and the lever pivots, ditto on the front brake lever, and gave a spritz in the three cruise control switches. Presto! Everything is working fine, the brake and clutch levers are noticeable smoother (and I thought they were fine before). I'm a believer in WD because it's dielectric, it doesn't wash out the grease in the switches, it works good and smells good!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Exavid, you may want to look into replacing the brake lever bushing soon, that was the root of all evil in my cruise control issues.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
Exavid, you may want to look into replacing the brake lever bushing soon, that was the root of all evil in my cruise control issues.
Actually I just did, put on a new brake and clutch levers, the ones on the bike were some chromeaftermarket ones that I didn't like. Just got the proper onestoday and put them in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.