Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi guys, I've had a 1999 1500 Aspencade Ann. edition(only 20,000 miles) for a short time now and I'm not too up on m/c mechanics. Ever since I bought it, there's been an odd pulsating noise coming from the motor(2500-3000 rpm cruising) which i've thought that maybe it's just normal for these wings to do this! Sort of sounds like 2 engine props just slightly out sync. then I read one of your members' comment on a rear alternator bearing initially sounding like a "wobbling noise" prior to breaking down. Anybody familiar with this sound and could it really be this bearing?(NSK 6000 DU) Thanks all, Luke from Kelowna, Canada)

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi luke it can be the bearing or the rubber isolaters that drive it they can go hard over time if you put the bike on the center stand get some one to run the engine up to speed and put a large screwdriver to the alternator with your ear on the other end you may be able to here the noise this is a picture of the isolaters

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Very likely to be coming from the alternator. It could indeed be the couplers but I'll bet it's the smal bearing in the alternator. Easy to pull the alternator, takes only a few minutes to check things out.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks all, seems consistant with everyone, your thoughts are REALLY appreciated!! i'll pull it this winter and take a look see............is spring here yet?? Luke

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Hi Luke. My 1500 was doing the same thing just after I bought it. It seemed to happen right at 2500 rpm. I changed the rear bearing and the sound was gone. Not a difficult job as long as you have a bearing puller. I think the bearing was about $12.00 from Honda.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

ok - i think we've got it. i'll yard the alt. out and do it.(i hope its just the 3 bolts, if there's 4 she's pretty well hidden!! Thanks again guys.....Luke

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

When I had that noise, I did both the bearing and the rubber coupler. The noise was gone. However, the alternator was almost new and the rear bearing was still good, so although I am not 100% sure, I think it was the coupler.

·
Premium Member
63,070 Posts
imported post

You might check tire pressures..Or check out your tires.. Shortly after I got my bike I got a howl or whine.. I thought it was coming out of the engine.. Very loud, I took a nail in the rear tire and when I change to a new one, the noise was gone.. Tire was 1/2 worn, didn't see any cupping.. It was a Dunlop E3.......

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Luke the Drifter wrote:
ok - i think we've got it. i'll yard the alt. out and do it.(i hope its just the 3 bolts, if there's 4 she's pretty well hidden!! Thanks again guys.....Luke
Only 3 bolts and the wiring.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

My 91I has the same noise. Located a post on here shows step by step on how to make the repair. Picked up the parts for a winter project. Will change out bearing and isolators both. Good luck on your repair and happy riding.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

My 93 1500 also has a noise that starts at about 2400rpm and stops at 3000rpm. You guys have described it as pulsating etc. but mine is more of a steady moaning sound. Alternator got brushes & bearings last summer. Did'nt do isolators. Think that could be it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.