Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am p----d off I had to replace my altinator at 60000 miles and have just been brought home on the back of a truckfrom a 200 mile run out due to the fact that my altinator has packed in again.

Has anyone out there only ever got just 12000 miles out of a brand new Honda / Hytatch altinator or am i the only one.

I am going to stip the two units down & see if I can get a good one out of them.

The price of a new one over here is £375 00.

:watching:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

I know of several that went bad under warranty, when the owners had less than 5000 miles on them. Why not get a rebuilt one from Ken Heming. He only reuses the case and fits brand new guts into them. They are very reliable, much more so than the shite that Honda supply.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Heffo do you think I could get one sent over the pond to the UK from Ken Hemings .
Thanks For Your Help
Keith

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

Had the same problems...Just buy a Compufire and your problems are solved forever. Peace of mind while travelling is a splendid thing. The Compufire does that to ya.

Just buy it..Don't worry about the $.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I just bought a earlier 1500 alternator (`89) on eBay for around $50,00 and had it checked over before putting it in. It was claimed to have around 40,000 miles on it then, but the brushes were gone so it must have had more on it than that. It has been in 2 of my other Gold Wings since, and still works fine. Last bike I owned had 197K on it when I swapped the alternator for a newer one before resell. Its in my `98 now. This Wing has 118K on it.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I have a 1500 SE of the same year. Trust me, the Hitachi's are junk! They can be rebuilt to a great unit, but from China, during that run of em, they are pityful. JMO jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

When my alternator went bad, I had it gutted and rebuilt by a local shop that rebuilds auto/truck alternators and starters. MUCH cheaper than Compufire. It now shows a slight positive charge at idle and full charge rate at about 1,000 rpm - just like my autos! You probably have one of those shops in your area or could locate one further away and ship your alternator to them for rebuilding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.