Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After 13 years with my 1983 1100 I am looking at a 1999 1500 with 15900 miles.I know every model has it problems is their anything I shouldpay special attention to? Thank you for the help. JIM

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

The only thing I can think of is a weak alt. which can be replaced with a Compu-Fire or one from Ken Hemming. With only 16k miles, unless it has been run/tuned up recently, I figure the carbs may need to be cleaned. Good ole Seafoam works wonders sometimes.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

My 99 has almost 89,000 and still tickin. Has the Compufire alt on it.
If it still has the stock alternator, just changing the brushes works to freshen them up, if you aren't running fog lights and tons of other lights.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

My 99 has 68112 miles and stock alt. with no problem at all with any of Honda's stuff. The only things to go wrong are the after market things I have added. O yea, I forgot about the gear box for speedometer, proper maintenance would have prevented that, no grease in it when I took it apart. Been thinking about getting one of the higher amp alt. May do that before my next long trip, just to be safe.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

At 87k now on my 2000. Frankly, if the alternator works fine don't fix what aint broken.
Otherwise that few of miles for the age mean that if you buy it, go through the obvious stuff-- flush/bleed the brakes and clutch, check the age of the tires, give it a basic tune and fluids change (oil, gear oil, coolant, etc). My 2000 had only 15k on it when I bought it in 2005.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I brought a 98 1500SE last year with 14000 miles. The only thing I did besides normal servicing was change the cam belts because of their age and not the miles. However, I couldn't tell the old from the new belts when they were out. Worth doing though just for peace of mind.
Fantastic bike the 1500, a real pleasure to ride and own.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
At 87k now on my 2000. Frankly, if the alternator works fine don't fix what aint broken.
Otherwise that few of miles for the age mean that if you buy it, go through the obvious stuff-- flush/bleed the brakes and clutch, check the age of the tires, give it a basic tune and fluids change (oil, gear oil, coolant, etc). My 2000 had only 15k on it when I bought it in 2005.

rpeters .... If your bike were mine, .... I'd be pulling that alternator out right about now (15 minute job)and taking it to a starter/alternator rebuild shop to have them run a thorough test on it. I would imagine the brushes are getting pretty worn and theyshould also check out your windings.At the same time, I'd change out the rubber dampeners,as they will be hard.

The alternators are a known problem on the later model 1500s. :2finger:

Cheap insurance and peace of mind when you figure the cost of being stranded away from home when it fails/"is broken". (replacement from a stealership) :baffling:

Dusty

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Good point.
I argue not.

I would have to say I got a 'good' one, but I am still not too far from 100k, so it would be good regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.