Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1995 GL1500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend, my son and I converted the bike to double dark side. I put a Goodyear Assurance fuel Max 175/60 on the rear and a Metzeler LaerTec rear tire, 130/70 on the front.

First off, what the hell was Honda thinking when they made it an all day job to get the back tire off?

I found a YouTube video on how to get the saddle bags off, but there was not a single one for how to get the tire off.

There were plenty of them to get the tires off of an 1800 but none for a 1500. After going through the process, now I know why.

There would have to be too much editing to get the cussing and screaming out of the video. Not only do you have to take both saddle bags off but you have to drop the left side exhaust to get the axle out.

when we were trying to get the old tire out, my son told me to let the air out before I tried pulling on it too much.

Well, my old hard headed self proceeded to yank and pull on it and then, stupid me decided to push on it.

The bike rolled off of the center stand and there was no way the two of us could lift it up.

Luckily, we were working in the barn and we were able to use the bucket of the tractor to lift it up.

We took the new tires and the wheels to get them mounted Saturday evening and put everything back together on Sunday.

My son put the front back together while I worked on the back. My old, fat, arthritic, asthmatic self was catching hell getting everything to line up.

I got down to having to put the trim pieces on under the lights and fastening the trim piece under the trunk.

I had four long screws and four short screws left and figured the long screws went in the piece under the trunk - WRONG.

The only thing the short screws would have threaded into are brass pieces folded over the plastic risers in the bottom of the trunk. I screwed the long screw in and they would not get tight.

After putting all four of them in, I figured I better investigate and that is when I found the little brass pieces all bent up where the big screws had pushed them up instead of screwing through them.

Hey, it was late in the day and I was getting tired.

Anyway, I used the long screws to mount the trim pieces under the lights and I will go to the Honda store and see about getting four more of the brass pieces then finish putting it together.

It started to rain as we were finishing everything up and it is supposed to rain most of the week, I'll try to get a ride in this weekend to see how it does.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,681 Posts
Welcome to the world of the 1500s.

Now you know why, I always took my 1500s to the independent repair shop who smiled when I called in for an appointment. :)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
They are difficult but after a few times one learns how it comes apart.last time I pulled mine out the back,just have to rotate the saddlebags up and tie the up,the muffler always has to come off,I loosen the shocks.

·
Registered
1995 GL1500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I had the back tire off, I put new pads on the brakes. That darkside tire should last 40-50,000 miles and I don't expect to ever take the back tire off again. If something happens that it has to come off it is going to the shop.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Did you grease the splines,the lube most likely last that long,did you replace the o rings while you were in there

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
And people complain about the air filter on 1800s. I would rather do 2 or 3 of those to 1 1500 rear tire.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
That’s why I was asking a while back about a 1800 swingarm on my 1500,
on a bike jack I don’t think it’s a bad job but just trying to change on the center stand is tought

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
That’s why I was asking a while back about a 1800 swingarm on my 1500,
on a bike jack I don’t think it’s a bad job but just trying to change on the center stand is tought
If I had a 1500 to experiment on I would give it a try, I have all the parts. Surprised someone hasn't tried it already.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
It might be a challange,placing the shock mount and assure the rear wheel is centered.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
I never found the rear tire to be that bad.

Sure, it's work, but every vehicle has it's thing. I had a tow hitch so I did the pivot the whole thing up method easily, by myself, for the last 3 Darkside tires (all Austones).

Sorry it was so frustrating. Once you learn what to take off and in what order it gets a lot easier.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
If folks plan on doing their own maintenance (including tire changes), it is worth investing in a Handy Professional Motorcycle Lift (table).

It makes tire changes a piece of cake......!!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
I personally have never owned one, but a lot of work would have been a lot easier with the bike up off the ground for sure I agree! If one had the space for it, a great investment.
And a good shop manual.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: DBohrer

·
Registered
1995 GL1500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't plan to do a whole lot of maintenance on this bike myself. The main reason we took the tires off is that there isnt a MC shop anywhere near me that would mount a darkside tire on the rear wheel. They probably would have mounted the front tire, but not the back. I have room in the barn and now I know the tractor bucket will reach from the front of the bike to the back of the seat if I need to pick it up again. My son rides a Suzuki Intruder, so I may have to invest in a MC lift table.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
When I built my shop. I put two 4" metal pipes in the slab. Standing one in the middle of the shop. That helped support the roof. The other one was used for outside wall support. Metal was welded to wall pipe so wood could be attached. After the shop walls where installed I welded a horizontal 4"pipe between the vertical pipes. Cut the vertical pipes the right length and installed the roof. I have picked up some heavy loads with a hoist. No problems. To pick up a GL1500 from the back or front It could not be easier. Pick it up and place wooden blocks under the frame. I sit on my roll around seat with meal tray under the seat for tools. Did I forget about the radio and music. Metal pipe is out of the way takes up no room

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
You are not the only one who has a beam across the top of a shop with a Hoist.....! They are good for lifting vehicle engines as well....!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
That gentleman made me laugh. In my house we measure the difficulty of jobs in the number of “f-bombs” expected. That sounds like at least a seven “f-bomb” job. Coincidentally, I dropped my 1500 off at the shop tonight for the rear tire. Front was done a couple weeks ago. Tire changing is something I will gladly pay someone to do. It saves me “f-bombs” for when I really need them.:oops:

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
When i had my 88 Wing.

I took the WHOLE bag assy. off as a unit. Easiest and fastest way i had found for myself. Not that bad to do about 15k-17k miles when rear tire needed to be replaced.

Take off side covers first. Forgot one time and broke one.

Takes 2 people to lift off and back on. Not heavy- just awkward to handle. Some have loosened the bolts and swung the bags up.. Mine would not do that without binding on something.

A few electrical connectors and a few bolts. 4 bolts i think it was. 2 were easy to see at top of frame and the other 2 if i remember right were inside the bags.

You only have to loosen the mufflers and swing them out of the way.

GREASE those splines and maybe drive shaft seal needs to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts