Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am off to Houston from the Hill Country to look at a 98 SE With 14K miles on it.
I have approximately 100k miles under my belt in approximately 3.5 years. Started with a Vstar 1100 then went to a VStar 1300 Tourer. Have ridden hubbies Venture and rode a GW about 6 miles.
Any suggestions as to what to look for as we are doing the
inspection?

thanks for your advise

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, looked over this.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Welcome. 100K in 3.5 years. Way to go. You even have me beat, and I thought I rode a lot.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

You have me wayyyyyyy beat, mine has had less then 20 miles put on it this summer

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

We do ride, part of that is 3 years of Run For The Wall from LA to DC.

20 miles wow you are really hitting it hard!

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

A '98 w 14k? Expect to have to go through the fuel system & carbs... Tires might be dry rotted.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I'd change timing belts. I bought my 91 with only 12K. All the electronics were fine, but yeah rubber stuff have a tendency to deteriorate over time

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Tires were dry rotted, and all the chrome was pitted. Bike h sat out. The seller got it and rode it 400 miles. He refused to let us plug in helmet to ck radio and systems and NO way was it going to be ridden! So back to the drawing board. anyone here of a good one coming up please let me know.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
imported post

You did good, that was a definite NO NO situation.
Run, don't walk, there will be a good one out there that is trust worthy.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Yes, I am in no hurry still have my VStar 1300 and it is a wonderful bike. Thanks for all the advise!

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Raven keep your eyes on the for sale/wanted forum....There might be a great deal by a member wanting to sell their Wing...Just a few months back a member in Porter Texas, had a beautiful 1500 for sale with a custom painted trailer to match....He did sell it and who ever got it got a great looking and running Wing....So just keep your eyes on that forum never can tell where or when you can find a great deal....

The Houston area has lots of Gold Wings for sale, but some will be just like the one you seen...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.