Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am getting close to the factory recommended service at 4000 miles. My transmission seems to make a little more noise than I am comfortable with when cold. After reading several posts this seems to be normal for the 1800. Is there anything I can do to quieten down the tranny? Is there anything I should ask the service tech to look for? I have had it kick out of 2nd two or three times but it was probably me not getting it into gear all the way. Has not happened in the last 1000 miles or so. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

If you are talking about the clunk from neutral to first, and up to second, and a bit less in the other gears, that is normal, and always will be.

I have noticed with mine if it sits for a couple days, without use, it is best to start it and let it sit and warm up good. It is going to be 18 degrees in the morning and about 20 the next one, so mine will sit a couple days without use. If you just start it and go yes it will shift a bit stiff until the oil gets worked unto all the parts again and begins to circulate into the pressure assisted clutch.

So I just treat it like a Harley on cold mornings or when it has sat a day or two without use and warm it up.

Kit

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well, it clunks for sure when shifting to second but the noise I was referring to is a soft growling sound for the first mile or two when in first gear. I always let the engine warm up until it idles down and then some. I am not talking about very cold weather, in West Texas we are in the 40-50s at night right now and the tranny still makes this sound when first leaving the drive way.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

This being the first oil change, I would be willing to guess that the factory oil has broken down a bit. I would go ahead with the 4000 mile service and have the dealer put Honda Synthetic blend oil in. At least that is my oil choice tho you will get a lot of opinions on what oil to use. I am willing to bet you will notice the noise gone after the fresh oil change as I did 4 years ago with my GL 1800.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

That is not the tranny.........it is the alternator drive gear. Yes it will growl a bit when cold. You will also hear it during deceleration in the twisty roads, or on the long sweepers. Quite normal.

Could be the transmission, hard to tell over the internet, but many people complain of this noise, all very normal.
Kit

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Kit, It does not make the noise in neutral, only when in gear. Almost like a throw out bearing. Does a motorcycle tranny have a throw out bearing?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hey:

No there is no throw out bearing in a motorcycle transmission. Just stationary and sliding gears, bushings, shift drum, forks, etc.

I honestly think what you hear is fine. Many people explain it as a growl. I am not sure exactly where the noise originates from, but it is quite normal. The sound of power.

You will hear it most in the lower range gears up through 3rd gear mostly, during acceleration and especially powering up in the twisty roads.

Have someone who has an 1800 ride it and see, or ask the dealer. But I really do think it is normal.

As for the jumping out of gear, I think all of us had to learn about that, it takes sure and positive shifts and also being in to high a gear in a hard sweeper and decelerating will cause it to happen sometimes.

I call it the growl of power, twist the throttle and enjoy.

Kit

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'm sure your right. Thanks to everyone who responded.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I just love that growl and whine with an occasional clunk. All normal good sounds for this bike. Change the oil every 4000 miles or so and ride the h----ll out of it. Don't baby it but don't stomp on the shifter either. Just make possitive shifts and you will be OK.

I've had mine for 15 months now and experienced all the noises, clunks and shakes.

That's what bikes do or is it the rider. I forgot.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I must be catching up to my bike. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Longboater, :action:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.