Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all!

I just picked up a 1986 GL1200 Interstate today. I have not been lurking or looking to buy as I have6 other street Bikes (5 Ducs and 1 Honda) but this came up and a widow needed some help and the GW was offered to me for $1000 so I decided to give the touring bike a try. It has 24K miles on it and was always stored in a garage. I have the owners manual and service manual and all service records. Here's a couple of pics:

I have found a problem that needs to be addressed. The left fork leg is leaking and has been replaced in the past. I have the tools and skills to replace them but are there any tips that you can pass along? Proper weight of the oil??

It needs a new battery too and need to drain the fuel and fill with fresh. Along with an oil change, what else should I be looking at??

Jon

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

Change the timing belts, they are probably the originals. Change the brake and clutch fluid and the coolant and final drive oil. ATF or 10w fork oil is recommended but I find a heavier fork oil gives a better ride and better handling. Run a double dose of Seafoam with a tank of gas then normal 1oz per gallon for a while.
Very nice looking bike.
Oh and you stole it and welcome to the worlds best forum.:)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Belts were changed at 18,900 miles but that was in 1995!!! What weight specifically do you like in the fork?

BTW my barn is now FULL of bikes along with the JD tractor.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Welcome to a great forum, and yes you sure did steal it. Avery nice bike indeed. I would also grease the spline gear on the back wheel, as the molly grease will probably dried out by now anyway. If that gear wears out, it would mean a whole new rear end, which by the way are getting very hard to find now. :) ;)

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

7 years I think is the time limit on belts, I think, it is on Honda cars anyway. Not worth chancing an engine over. The tips section will give you the part #s for aftermarket belts and other things. I put tractor hydraulic oil in my 1100s forks and rear shocks, somewhere around 15 or 20 wt from what I could find out. It really improved the ride and the anti dive worked better and reduced wallowing in corners. It's a personal preference thing, what works for me may not suit everyone. You may want to check the date codes on the tires too, there's a thread on that around here somewhere.

Didn't mean to step on your toes hawkeye, I was typing and thinking when you posted.:)

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Check your mirrors often. The law is bound to hunt you down for stealing that bike. Great looking ride!!! I am sure that you will love it. You will also want to check the wire plug couplings in the area just above the battery. They are prone to corrosion and could cause charging problems or stator failure. I have mine hard wired as have a lot of the other 4 cyl owners. Wow...what a deal you got!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from Florida. :waving:

I personally think you have too many bikes in the Garage, so I'll come up and take this old wore out Goldwing off your hands. :cheeky1:

You have really found a diamond of a bike. I've got an 85 with 138,000 on her, she sat outside for a year with the P/O, but I love her just the same.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

I've had to do all your items pretty much just in the last few months. I could be wrong, but belt life shouldn't really be in years, more in the miles so you should be fine there. My own experience which may not match the rest of the world is if the carbs have sat with gas in them more than 4 or 5 months the pilot jets will be clogged by bad gas and the carbs need to be disassembled and cleaned. If you run gas additives in enough strength to attempt to clear the jets, all 4 CV carb diaphrams will be ruined. This is a $800 mistake. Fork seals are a good afternoon job and go pretty smooth. I used ATF as specified by Clymer and it works fine. You need impact driver to remove the allen bolts on the fork, and the caps are under heavy pressure, so be careful when dissassembling or parts will fly. Also you need a special Honda tool to install the new fork seals or a piece of PVC tubing just slightly bigger than the fork diameter. I went to a Yuasa maintenence free battery as the water is boiled out of the battery rapidly in a goldwing. I've been fighting trying to get my 84 working for about 5 years, one thing after another. I rode 65 miles today and I think I finally have all the quirks fixed for now at least.

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

Ron, I have seen cars go way over the recommended mileage on timing belts, always only a few years old. I have also seen belts break on older cars with low mileage. Age is actually more important than mileage. I would not trust 13 year old belts.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

I'm doing the forks on my 82 Wing now. Honda says use 10W oil. I bought 10W the other day and may return it for 20W. The oil I poured out of them seemed a bit thick. I bought new seals and dust covers for $31.99 for JC Whitney. Honda wanted $24.95 for just one fork seal. I was nervous about the potential quality but was surprised when the seals were Japanese made. Change out your fuel filter as well. Change the belts to. Spare no expense on those.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

anything over about 6 years on tires is pushing it regardless of tread depth

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

That's a good question. My Bike currently has the orignal tires on it (coded 1381)! Absolutely no dry rot. The originals are Dunlop Qualifiers (Front 120/90/18, Rear 140/90/16). I discovered that Dunlop D404s would fit but after reading mixed reviews I decided not to buy them eventhough they are Japanese made. Go figure. Instead I bought Avon Venoms from American Motorcycle Tire. They are more money but they will ride better and last longer (so they say). I have Avon Storms on my ST and they are nice tires. You get what you pay for. So if the Avons are a 1/3 more in price but last that much longer and don't exhibit road noise after they wear, what's the point of buying budget tires?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

dalemcg wrote:
anything over about 6 years on tires is pushing it regardless of tread depth

The rear was replace in 2003 and has about 1000 miles on it. The front is old and worn and will be replaced. The front seems a little bit more worn on the left side of the tire. Has anyone seen this before? They are Metzlers on there now.

Are the forks from theGL1100 the same as the GL1200? Do they use the same seal kit?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10111/s-10101/p-100000140601/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10379550/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000014060110379550

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Don't know the answer to the Fork Seal Question. Honda will know.
This Honda dealer knows the old stuff....
Western Hills Honda - Cincinnati 513 662-7759

As for the tire issue. I can only guess. It may be brake related. You may have to google this issue.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

I'm surprised belts are supposed to be replaced that often. Why use belt drive at all? Hopefully chain is more reliable. I never had a car with a belt so my experience is limited to this GL1200. The belt in mine is close to 20 yrs old.

As to tires wearing more on the left than the right, this can be from the fact many roads are crowned slightly to the outside.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

My belts are 27 years old and they look good - knock on wood. I will replace them though. As for belts verses chains... I read that the Wing engine and the use of belts is considered one if not the most reliable engine design there is. The Japs know their Sh#t especially Honda when it comes to engine design. If the Goldwing designers created an engine that failed often they would have to commit HARIKARI. I would think they would want to avoid that.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Timing belts are one of the most discussed items in this forum....Reason being that if any auto with rubber belts sets up for any length of time these rubber timing belts do just like a tire...they crack and are subject to failure at any moment...Only makes sence that if you are not looking to have a timing belt go bad out in the boonies, you need to replace them...They are not that expensive and worth their weight in gold for peace of mind, of not having a belt break and ruin a head, and pistons....We have heard it too many times about guys looking for either heads or complete engines because they threw a timing belt....So the belief here is if its been setting up a long time, or has a lot of miles and you are not sure , if ever, the belts have been changed, Do it any how.....There are lots of pictures, tutorials and a videoon changing belts on this forum....

Replacing Timing Belts on a GL1200

Just my .05 cents worth...

Claude.....

PS ...to keep the NY PD off your bumper for grand thief motorcycle send it to me.....:cheeky1:.......Great looking bike....It's a keeper....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.