Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

Just bought my first Goldwing last week but have been riding since I was 12 (thirty years ago!). I picked up a 87 Aspencade with 44,000 miles for 2 grand. It needed tires, fork seals, timing belt (because its time) and a tune so I dropped it at my local bike shop for a freshening. The wife and I will be on our first adventure next week, destination unknown at this point.

My dad bought his first Goldwing in 76, right off the boat. I think he went to NY or NJ to get it and brought it back up to MA. So I guess I'm one of those "Legacy" Wing guys!

I'm looking forward to learning the ins and outs of these bikes. I've been reading through the forum here (the epic timing belt replacement thread is a must read) and it sure seems like there's a nice camaraderie between Wing owners, I'm glad I'm one of em now!

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good info on hee and great people. Good luck with your new wing and may you put many miles on it. Always ride safe.

·
Premium Member
73,511 Posts
Hallo jv320i

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:jv320i

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Welcome from Bismarck ND

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Welcome, Welcome To Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum so withany Maintenance you do.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were 'Goldwings in their previous lives and can answer any question you have. The forums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum
General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info about your bike and are where you ask questions and get help..

For Sale/Wanted Forum Good stuff for Sale....

And when you just need a good laugh:: Fun Forum Again Welcome to the Forum...

And A Big Welcome From Clermont, Indiana.....

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE!

Well, after buying my bike last month, riding it home 20 miles and dropping it off at the shop for new tires, timing belt, fork seals, front brakes, a few switches & a tune I FINALLY got it back last week. The ride was incredible with the suspension and tire improvements and it was purring like a kitten... You've likely noticed my use of "was" there...

The day after I got it back I went to take my 12 year old daughter on her very first motorcycle ride. She, and her sister new I'd been saving for a while and I finally had it, all prepped and as safe as possible. She climbs aboard and off we go, 500 or so feet in, as I've pulled out on to the main road and attempt to shift up from second to third...trouble. Can't go up and can't go down...nuthin but 2nd gear.

I pulled off but continued to putt along trying to shift, but no dice. The shop was right up the road so we rode 2nd all the way there, with a giant lump in my throat, I knew what was coming...

When we got there my mechanic came out and we looked for the obvious but it sure looked like I was facing a bent shifter fork. I paid 2 thousand for the bike, and it looked like a good deal. I put 16 hundred into it to get it perfect and less than 50 miles into ownership I'm looking down at it needing at least another 2 thousand dollar repair. The roller coaster ride I was on had hit bottom.

The mechanic offered that I could leave it there, weigh my options and get it later, and my daughter and I started walking home, completely dismayed and befuddled. We got 50 feet up the road and I stopped and decided we should ride it home in second. At least it would be at my home.

We made it home safely and uneventfully, save slowly. I backed it into it's spot in the garage, shut it down and went inside. After a few minutes I went out there and went straight for the shifter. I reached down, grabbed hold and with some but not too much force gave it a shake --- and lo and behold, out of 2nd gear it popped! I couldn't believe it. I started it up, went through the gears - like butter. I ran inside, shared the great news with my daughter and proceeded to go on a nice 45 minute cruise through the country carefully shifting through the gears and paying close attention to any strange sounds. None.

Later I called the mechanic to tell him my good fortune. He thinks it was a burr that hung it up just enough. I think it was a test. The roller coaster was back at the top.

Just a little background - I don't have a heel/toe shifter & the bike has new, synthetic Amsoil in it. I did hear a loud "thunk" just before my daughter got on for her first ride as I was on it alone. I thought I ran something over, even the bars shook, but there was nothing there.

I've ridden it around 120 miles since this happens, and it shifts great. I'm extra cautious around second, but I normally am anyway. Hopefully it won't happen again, this could have been a complete disaster.

But a happy ending and a happy owner prevailed.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Welcome, Welcome To Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum so withany Maintenance you do.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were 'Goldwings in their previous lives and can answer any question you have. The forums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum
General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info about your bike and are where you ask questions and get help..

For Sale/Wanted Forum Good stuff for Sale....

And when you just need a good laugh:: Fun Forum
Again Welcome to the Forum...

And A Big Welcome From Clermont, Indiana.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.