Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning fellow GWers,

I just took off the tranny and water pump housing on my 1984 GL1200 Aspy. I was having heating issues and after I cleaned the radiator decided to replace the water pump.

I put it all in a Sonic bath and made does it look 1000x better.

Issues is I can't get the water pump housing off. I've beat the helllll out of it with a rubber hammer and nothing.

Any tricks of the trade to remove it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well you could try an old trick used in removing heads from an old rusty car engine. Assuming everything holding bit on is free (all bolts out) holding a piece of 2x4 or 2x2 on nit pushing in a direction it will go (probably circular) hit the wood with a 4 lb sledge, slowley.

A slow moving heavy hammer does less damage than a fast moving light hammer and the wood cushions the blow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's exactly what I am thinking.

Torch it heat it up and be very careful?

·
1,716 Posts
Some times i use a chisel and tap it carefully in between the gasket (or even better , a "chisel" for wood carving , - i dont know the English word for that one ).
Be carefull with heat you could destroy the seal in the pump , - and the lube in the bearings .

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
Some times i use a chisel and tap it carefully in between the gasket (or even better , a "chisel" for wood carving , - i dont know the English word for that one ).
It is called a wood chisel believe it or not.

·
Registered
736 Posts
There are two dowel pins that locate the cover in position so it won't rotate - has to come off straight up. These get corroded over time and keep the cover from moving. If you are going to replace the water pump, possibly taking out the securing bolts on the back of the pump and driving it out may loosen the cap. You will have to hammer on the water pump a bit anyway because it will not want to move either. Can't hurt to heat the case up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SOLVED:

I took a very sharp knife and very gently tapped it on the gasket and it still took a really long time to get it off.

I took a razor blade to remove gasket and light sander. Crazy, 36 year old gasket Im sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FOLLOW UP:

I since replaced the gasket on the water pump and it leaked like crazy.

Two things: A. He used a sealant because it wouldn't go together properly and needed extra closure or B. I should have used Permatex 80697 Copper Spray-A-Gasket Hi-Temp Adhesive Sealant because it just shredded the gasket.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If it didn’t go back without issues,there’s got to be something holding the 2 away from each other,these motors are near foolproof on reassemble.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I hope you get it fixed. I would have suggested placing the unit in water and heat it to near boiling. That will loosen and expand components to aid seperation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts