Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So I have a GPS and a radar detector both sending audio to an input line which is connected to the mic at the headset connector block under the left pocket.
Works pretty good, as long as you run only one of the devices at a time.
It seems that the GPS audio signal over powers that of the radar detector when both are running. I can hear the GPS commands, but not the radar alert tones.Running either unit by itself and no problems.

I would like to be able to hear them both.
I have them connected using pigtail to the mic line in.
Do I need to create a second line in to the connector block, and separate the two devices? Or is it just too taxing on the mic/intercom circuit to handle 2 devices at the same time.

???

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

2 into one doesn't work at the same time without some type of electronic separation. I'm no electronics man but have tried what you are doing many times without success.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Give Gary at Electric-Avenues a call...he makes splitters and amps...and knows his stuff

Amplirider

He has helped a lot riders over the years with mixing GPS,RD,Ipod etc

Bill

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi what you need to do is connect one of the units trough theradio with an in line fm modulator or with a cassett addapter have that play on the bike speakers while still haveing the other in the head set

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Hi, I tried this system a few years ago, the problem I found was that you could not match the volume out of the 2 units, so one would always over power the other, I used a small resister in line on the louder of the units and that did the trick.

hope this helps

Nick
welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

Busdriver,

I am assuming you are using a female jack to the connector block. The GPS and Radar plugs into the female jack. If you only have onewire to the Mic+ side you will also need to run a wire to a grounding spot or to the Mic ground wire on the connector block.

I am able to use my phone and GPS at the same time and it is connected at the headset connector block using the Mic+ and Mic ground wires. If I am on the phone, I can still hear the GPS (and so does the person I am talking to:cheeky1:) and the passenger can also hear the GPS and phone and talk on the phone.

The only problem I have right now is the feedback I get when I plug the GPS into the power supply and have it connected to the headset. Just haven't tackled this problem yet as I don't use my GPS alot except on long trips. Plugging the GPS into the power supply (unhooked from headset jack) does not affect the phone with any feedback.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

Busdriver,

I am assuming you are using a female jack to the connector block. The GPS and Radar plugs into the female jack. If you only have onewire to the Mic+ side you will also need to run a wire to a grounding spot or to the Mic ground wire on the connector block.

I am able to use my phone and GPS at the same time and it is connected at the headset connector block using the Mic+ and Mic ground wires. If I am on the phone, I can still hear the GPS (and so does the person I am talking to:cheeky1:) and the passenger can also hear the GPS and phone and talk on the phone.

The only problem I have right now is the feedback I get when I plug the GPS into the power supply and have it connected to the headset. Just haven't tackled this problem yet as I don't use my GPS alot except on long trips. Plugging the GPS into the power supply (unhooked from headset jack) does not affect the phone with any feedback.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I have a male to the connector, mic+ (ground is to frame for cleaner sound) then a pigtail (splitter) to accept both devices. I have a 10k ohm resister soldered inline on that wire. Running either device to outside speakers is useless, as I won't be able to hear them. Especially when the sat radio is on. I want everything in the headset.
So far the sat radio and either ONE of the two other devices is fine, but trying to run both I can only hear the GPS which overpowers the radar detector.

So maybe if I understand Welsh Winger correctly, the problem might be that the 2 devices are sharing the resistor, and I need to separate these devices so that only the stronger one is using the resister and the other one not. Sounds plausible. I'll give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.