Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

From reading this forum and my own thoughts it seems we have 2 very diffrent schools of thought. That being said everyone seems to agree the storage is lacking on the 1800. I personally don't understand why my 82 1100 has larger bags and trunk than a 09 1800, Is this progress?

Now why not introduce/reintroduce a Goldwing with a 1100-1500cc opposed 4 motor. Just a classic SIMPLE tourbike. Just the basics,Noneed for all thedodads. Radio, mabie acb but that is about it.Give it a retro stylefairing and lights for those of us that think the 1800 is ugly.

Then produce the2000cc wiz bang with all thegadgetsfor those that wantall the bells.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

THEY ALREADY HAVE IT ..THE st1300

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Yes, it seems that Honda is stuck in what may simply be referred to as the human physical limitations zone. I remember a stripped down 1500 from the early nineties, the 1500 interstate. It didn't sell well and only lasted a few years. Unfortunately, the thing still weighed a 'ton' and the handling characteristics were no better perhaps worse than the 'standard' bike. If Honda wants to do basic, then they will need something like the 1300 that WEXY mentioned above or even an updated Pacific Coast.

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/reviews/pacific8_98.htm

I remember riding one of these back in 1989 at the Honda shop while I was getting tires replaced on the 1500. It was nimble and very responsive. It had a v-twin engine as I recall.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

wexy wrote:
THEY ALREADY HAVE IT ..THE st1300
With all due respect, tain't so.

The ST1300 is a lovely bike, but it is not a small Wing.

We rode one for an afternoon, lots of fun, but an 800km day two up, not a hope.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I think what is needed is more like an updated silverwing gl650. Perhaps more like a 1100cc motor. a little lighter and smaller would appeal to shorter people male and female. it would also be more fuel efficient and cost less. A lot of people like the big wings but are overwelmed by the size weight and cost. My friend Dorie loves to ride and is very experienced but being so short and with a bad back she needs a smaoller lighter bike. I let her riede my gl1100 and she rides it like a pro.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Bob W wrote:
I think what is needed is more like an updated silverwing gl650. Perhaps more like a 1100cc motor. a little lighter and smaller would appeal to shorter people male and female. it would also be more fuel efficient and cost less. A lot of people like the big wings but are overwelmed by the size weight and cost. My friend Dorie loves to ride and is very experienced but being so short and with a bad back she needs a smaoller lighter bike. I let her riede my gl1100 and she rides it like a pro.
Honda already has a lighter, streamlined, better handling bikeon the floor.......... and I'm on one! The ST1300 sports tourer! If you shorter people would try it, you'll never go back.... ever!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

CJ you are right I just think that a lot of people areafraid of a bikke over a liter and there are not any purpose built touring bikes like the old Silverwings.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

CJ you are right I just think that a lot of people areafraid of a bikke over a liter and there are not any purpose built touring bikes like the old Silverwings.

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

MADDOG355 wrote:
From reading this forum and my own thoughts it seems we have 2 very diffrent schools of thought. That being said everyone seems to agree the storage is lacking on the 1800. I personally don't understand why my 82 1100 has larger bags and trunk than a 09 1800, Is this progress?

Now why not introduce/reintroduce a Goldwing with a 1100-1500cc opposed 4 motor. Just a classic SIMPLE tourbike. Just the basics,Noneed for all thedodads. Radio, mabie acb but that is about it.Give it a retro stylefairing and lights for those of us that think the 1800 is ugly.

Then produce the2000cc wiz bang with all thegadgetsfor those that wantall the bells.
How about this little number?? No radio, no CB No Bags or Tail trunk. Automatic and sounds like fun!

DN-01 from Honda's web site!

[align=center]

Honda's stunning new DN-01 is in a class of its own—the world's first crossover bike. Styled like a sportbike, but offering Honda's radical new HFT Transmission, it's an automatic unlike anything you've ever seen. You can shift it into six preset ratios, or you can let it function as a stepless, no-shifting Constantly Variable Transmission, or CVT. The DN-01 is a perfect choice if you're looking to get into motorcycling or if you're just a long-time rider who wants to be on the most cutting-edge bike out there.[/align]

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

I just made the above pic my new desktop background.

I would really like to check out one of those. CVT +1!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

If the CVT+1 had saddle bags, and trunk it might be the ticket

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

What I had in mind was a fully faired bike, With the hard bags and a removable trunk just like the 1100 but have a cleaner look (no rack) when the trunk is removed. Basicly just a slightly updated 1100 style bike.

The best way to describe it would be a entry level tourer I guess. Somthing that would allow a person to go and buy a brand new bike for about half the cost of thetop model and still have the basics to be able to ride acrosscountry in comfort.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

I was in the market for a new bike and would have for sure bought a 1800 if they made a stripped down version.

A great ride but I don't want all the gizmos, doodads, and crap that they come stock with. If Honda made one in an "Interstate" version, I would buy it.

In the end I will end up with what I want. I bought a Valkyrie and am outfitting it the way I want.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I know just what you mean Maddog. I don't want to spend a good portion of my retirement nest egg to buy a car on 2 wheels, no matter how comfortable or exhilarating it might be. I would buy this bike

in a second if it were available in North America at a reasonable price and the fairing beefed up a bit to give a little more protection around the edges.

And, yes, CJ it is a ST but not a 1300. It's a 700 and not available on this side of the pond. Just would like to have it a little less SPORT and a bit more TOURING: and 1/2 the price of a 1300! When you live (i think it's better named "surviving") 700 miles from the nearest mountains you like to get there with some sense of comfort. It's hard to imagine SPORT riding across 700 miles of bald prairie! I crossed the prairies once on a 500 and couldn't enjoy the mountains due to the lack of sensation in my legs and butt for a month afterward. I said "NEVER AGAIN!" and bought the '78 (back in '79). I had to take it easier in the twisties but I still got the adrenalin rush I was after. And I got there in relative comfort. That 700 would be just the ticket IMHO. And with the 65 HP and 520 lbs dry weight it's only slightly less powerful but 150 lbs lighter than the '78. Perfect for a smaller rider and probably strong enough to haul a small trailer for two up over-exuberance.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
imported post

i think honda needa a smaller wing to but i would like to see a glodwing classic. it could have the 1800 or what ever the motor on the next wing will be but i would like the styling to be more inline with the 1100/ 1200 / 1500. and hopefully the trunk will hold two fullface helmets unlike my 1500

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the silverwing didn't really catch on for several reasons, too high a cost, luaage not sufient, and the two cylinder buzz.... but something like a 1200 sure might fir the bill

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

I've been at this cross-roads for quite some time now. I really like the looks of the 1200's, and I think the luggage space is aduquate but the aerodynamics could use some help. I really don't want or need an extra 100lbs as in the 1500's.

I have been looking very hard at some 97/98's in the 400 miles around me on e-bay. But I'm still torn between investing $1,500. in up-grades for seat/suspension/lighting. Or going another $7/8K for the heavier "NEWER" 1500-6.

Maybe it just boils down to having too many comfortableyears/ miles on the 1200's and being slow or unwilling to change. I looked at a lot of great bikes at NASSIR and asked several queations, but that cross-roads intersection still has me wondering...:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I'd like to see a basic 1000cc flat four with a simple frame that would allow future generations of customizers to work on them. It is so difficult to customize modern bikes without just buying a bunch of bolt on "made for" accessories.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.