Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have read quite a few threads and articles about this phenomena on the 1500 but mine is a little bit different than all of those I have read. If standing over the bike and shaking the handlebar the whole bike shakes like the frame was made of gel. The same goes for very low speed (5-20MPH) cruising and if I wiggle the handlebar. Driving in walking speed is darn near impossible unless you are 100% focused and nobody moves, kinda seem to delay steering input in a sense. At high speed it doesn't seem to be any issues. The bike is a 2000 and only has 20.000 miles on it so I kind of discharge bushings and bearings being worn out. What seem to help is to pump the tires up to a rather high pressure. It also get worse when riding two up. Any ideas? Order the brace and hope for the best? Tires are new Dunlops E3, and the bike seems tight otherwise.

Any help / ideas / options is highly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

I would say tires and tire pressure. I put 41 pounds in the rear and 38 in the front. I can tell when the pressure is down because it does the same.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

These factors affect it. Fix them all and you will have great handling:

Fork bushing wear
Fork Brace
Progressive springs
Wheel bearings
Steering bearings
Type of tires
Condition of tires
Pressure in tires
Balance of tires
Rear swing arm bearings
Rear wheel bearings
Rear tire pressure
Type of rear tire
Any pulsating brake drag
Rigid frame (no loose or damaged parts)

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I would check the tires for cupping, what mileage is on them, what pressure is in them, is your wheels balanced, and check your steering head bearings are torqued correctly. At this low mileage it is unusual for a 2000 wing to act like this next step would be to fit a fork brace.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

Getting the bike to shake while stationary would seem to rule out tires,yetincreased tire pressureimproves the condition.Odd isn't it? Did the problem build up over time, or did you notice it one day, but never before?

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Build up over time. I know my tire pressure rather well and that's not it. Neither is the tires as they are new. If the rear tire would move in comparison to the frame I would know, but it doesn't.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

Since raising the pressure seems to help and they are new tires I think you are looking at a tire problem. Make sure they are the correct load rating tires for your 1500.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
imported post

I'm wondering if there may be an internal ply separation at work here on one of the tires??? Almost sounds like it - rear swing arm bearings may be contributing as well - have you checked those???

Les

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

Since the tires are new I would check that the the wheels were put back on and tightened correctly.
A loose axle nut???
Then I would check suspension components.
Are the shocks bolted on tight, and are their bushings in good shape, tug on them.
Forks, check all mounting hardware for loose fittings.
swing arm and wheel bearings, put bike on center stand and do a tug test.
If you are running Dunlop E3 tires then the Dunlop recommended pressure for a GL1500 is 40 rear and 36 front.
Remember that the pressures written in your owners manual are for the tires which were fitted at the factory when the bike was new, and not for replacements of other types/brands.

·
1,716 Posts
imported post

Sounds normal to me . Those bikes are not to ridgid .The more you "strugle" with the handlebars the worse it gets .
So ride it gentle , and with comfort ! - and a fork brace could help .
( i now that you are not talking about high speed woble ,but you can minimice that , when you inflate the rear suspension to maximum ).

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

The only time I have ever had any shaking on bike was the front tyre pressure was too low.

Do you have another pressure gauge to check with.

Other than that Rudy's suggestions above.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Robin wrote:
The only time I have ever had any shaking on bike was the front tyre pressure was too low.

Do you have another pressure gauge to check with.

Other than that Rudy's suggestions above.
That is what it feels like but I have two gauges showing identical pressure. I will mount the superbrace today and see if that helps. If not, the bike is comming apart until I find the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Superbrace installed, 900 miles test run tomorrow...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

And then while doing some research I found this, looks like I might have some work ahead of me...

Previous owner acyually tighten it with a chissel. I feel like bringing a chissel over and work on him a little bit.. :lash:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

he did that not to tighten it but to make sure it didnt loosen up with load

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

daposer wrote:
he did that not to tighten it but to make sure it didnt loosen up with load
They made locktight for that...:lash:

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
And then while doing some research I found this, looks like I might have some work ahead of me...

Previous owner acyually tighten it with a chissel.  I feel like bringing a chissel over and work on him a little bit..  :lash:
Which bolt is this ?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

I had a similar issue with my 1992 1500 se. I bought it in July and took it to Ireland. A nightmare to ride slowly, and stopping and starting were jerky. I checked bearings etc and thought if its going to be like this, then I'm going to sell it. Two punctures caused me to fit a new pair of tires, E3's in fact. Hey presto, bike handles a dream. Old tyres were Metzlers and looked in good condition with plenty of tread.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Robin wrote:
Kimswang wrote:

Previous owner acyually tighten it with a chissel. I feel like bringing a chissel over and work on him a little bit.. :lash:
Which bolt is this ?
The bolt that holds the steering head.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.