Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I have been on the forum. Was looking for feedback on the bike. Will be turning 70 and wonder if I'm pushing my luck continuing to ride. I purchased the bike from the original owner who had just turned 80 and I can still remember me loading the bike on my trailer and seeing tears in his eyes.

Hard to know when to say quits. Been given more Grace than I deserve and wonder if I'm just being "an old fool". So, I'm thinking about selling my lady and moving on. The bike has 50K on it and been meticulously maintained. The one boo boo was I was changing the oil and not paying attention and set the kick stand on the side cover. Been looking for one ever since. I see there are chrome ones but thought putting those on would be a little much. So, still looking for the elusive side cover.

Anyway, suppose to be 115 here near Palm Springs today. Been to warm for a ride for a while. No, "this too shall pass".

Stay safe, stay well....VernRuth
20200731_084449.jpg

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,307 Posts
I am 78 and do not plan to quit riding anytime soon,
wait for nice weather and just go.

your knees will tell you when it is time to give it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Been awhile since I have been on the forum. Was looking for feedback on the bike. Will be turning 70 and wonder if I'm pushing my luck continuing to ride. I purchased the bike from the original owner who had just turned 80 and I can still remember me loading the bike on my trailer and seeing tears in his eyes.

Hard to know when to say quits. Been given more Grace than I deserve and wonder if I'm just being "an old fool". So, I'm thinking about selling my lady and moving on. The bike has 50K on it and been meticulously maintained. The one boo boo was I was changing the oil and not paying attention and set the kick stand on the side cover. Been looking for one ever since. I see there are chrome ones but thought putting those on would be a little much. So, still looking for the elusive side cover.

Anyway, suppose to be 115 here near Palm Springs today. Been to warm for a ride for a while. No, "this too shall pass".

Stay safe, stay well....VernRuth View attachment 323362
Nice looking bike Vern! I am coming up on 73 and only started riding at 69. I know I am not as good as I was when I was younger and I certainly am not as strong as I was back then. But after starting to ride I knew I needed more strength so I joined a gym with a personal trainer and now I am pretty strong. Seniors CAN build muscleI I practice at the local MSF course and keep learning and getting better skills with the help of you tube. I am afraid if I get on the couch I would never get off so I keep pushing. If you still love to ride and don't have any physical problems I urge you to keep riding! Of course I don't know you or your situation but since you asked I wanted to pass along my thoughts on the subject of aging. Remember 70 is the new 50 or is it the other way around? Regards, Jerry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate your enthusiasm. I started riding at 52. 18 months ago, I did two 2500 mile rides on my BMW R1200GS each trip being about 10 days. Camped out and went through the Sierras. Was two of the best rides I've ever done. Tried it before with the wing, but the wing doesn't like dirt. Got to say I loved it. But, the body didn't wake up before the mind. Got to remember, everything is out of sorts with this Covid BS. Decisions, any and all, are skewed. Don't know what the truth is. So, Really appreciate your insight.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
My advise is to stop riding while you can still ride good. Rather than continue to ride until you become "vulnerable" and something happens.

Don't wait until you start having "too many surprised" while riding....;)

Only you can decide when its time to "hang up the keys".....!

Your Aspencade, will have a lower value than an SE model.

Those side covers are not "cheap"......!!

·
Son of Bronson
122 Posts
Stop riding??
NEVER!!!!!!
Read about this guy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Every time I look in the garage, my mind wanders back to pictures of being on the road. I remember being on Hwy 1 in Northern California along coming out of the redwoods and seeing the ocean. I've done the same ride in my car a couple of times. Funny, I can't recall the images from the car but the ones being on the bike never go away. Freedom seems to be something I MUST have. So, for now, I will ride a "day at a time" until I can no longer throw my leg over the seat. Probably a selfish resolution, but "to thine own self be true.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Every time I look in the garage, my mind wanders back to pictures of being on the road. I remember being on Hwy 1 in Northern California along coming out of the redwoods and seeing the ocean. I've done the same ride in my car a couple of times. Funny, I can't recall the images from the car but the ones being on the bike never go away. Freedom seems to be something I MUST have. So, for now, I will ride a "day at a time" until I can no longer throw my leg over the seat. Probably a selfish resolution, but "to thine own self be true.
I surely hope you don't plan to ride "one day tooooo late"............!:(

We trust you will recognize when the time has arrived...!;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I forgot I am 72 and don't ride as far as I used to but 2 up is getting a little difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Ah....Age 72 I rode from Maryland to Florida and back (1800 miles round trip) on a two-wheeler 2-up.

Also from Maryland to Dothan, AL and back (1814 miles round trip) on two wheels 2-up.

Total 19,000 miles that year...!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts