Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have no idea how...but I can't stop thinking I'd love to see a new Goldwing in 2000cc. And while I'm at it...8 cylinders. Whether it be opposed 8, or even a tiny V8...imagine the fun that could be had with the exhaust note. I think it could be done and made to work out very well. That's my vision anyway. Fire away!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Aw c'mon, Neil. Wouldn't you rather see your 1200 redone as an ultra high-tec tourer that pumped out about 125 hp (7 more than the current 1800)? The technology to upgrade the engine & transmission is out there already at weights that still fit the requirements for a bike. Add all the high-tec gizmos other tourers have long since added such as on-the-go suspension and power adjustments. Factory Bluetooth and all the other comforts Wingers have to add aftermarket now. And how about a system that allows the driver to adjust air-flow on the go? Deflect hot air in stop & go traffic and then redivert when you hit the open road. All without taking your hands off the handlebars. And it all comes in at a power-to-weight ratio that leaves the 1800 in the dust while leaving you with the sensation that you're just floating along on a luxurious sofa.
Cost would also be no more than what the 1800 sells for now.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
imported post

carbon fiber bodywork, EFI 1200 with ceramic coated pistons, DOHC heads, supercharged. 200 hp

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

I think Honda need to start looking at alternative power for Goldwings. They can't keep increasing the engine size and turning it into a gas guzzler.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
imported post

I would llike to see a lightened, cleaner release of a GL1100 size touring bike

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
imported post

I realize this thread has some age to it since the last post and I may be speaking before I know what I'm talking about since I know nothing about the 1800's but how about making the aircleaner a little easier to get to. A basic maint. item that you need access to on a semi regular basis and on the 99 wing, its a real bear to change it.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

How far the Wing has come.

I remember when the 1200 came out, many said how we had seen the extent of the Goldwing, and there is no way it would get any bigger.....:D

and then the 15:claps:......

and then the 18 :shock:.......

and then...............:?

whatever it is going to be, its gonna be NICE ! :action:

Anybody else agree with me ?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I like the bigger cc's because of the torque that comes with them.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I could see this thread getting interesting. 2000cc doesnt sound undoable. But I read an article where the Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 couldnt get any bigger in a V-Twin because the weight of the pistons would send the pistons out of the juggs if they were any bigger. I guess the Goldwing might have some room for growing before this happens ... maybe a 2000cc wouldnt be too much.

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
I don't think there is a need. The only one to profit would be the insurance company. Bigger motors equal higher premiums

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I don't know about the wisdom of a larger engine.
An update / refresh of the current or older engine to increase output would seem to make the most sense.

The challenge is which is larger?
a 2000cc 6 or 8 cylinder
a supercharged or turbo charged 1200 or 1500 cc 4 or 6 cylinder

The balance of power verses mileage, reliability or weight are all variables to consider. I'm not smart enough to say which would make the best riding experience. But the idea of a supercharger or turbo on anything gets the blood pumping!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
my thinking is that since the HD touring bike's out sell te goldwings by 80 or 90 to 1 . Honda would make a ton more money and sell way more bikes if it copied the look v twin and feel of the HD's but made them Honda reliable. Seems to make sence to me.
Oh and i believe my 79 dresser is the best i have rode and I have ridden them all but the 1200's that includes Harleys to,

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
my thinking is that since the HD touring bike's out sell te goldwings by 80 or 90 to 1 . Honda would make a ton more money and sell way more bikes if it copied the look v twin and feel of the HD's but made them Honda reliable. Seems to make sence to me.
Oh and i believe my 79 dresser is the best i have rode and I have ridden them all but the 1200's that includes Harleys to,
Dont know where you got that statistic from ?? but worldwide the Goldwing outsells the HARLEY ,your stat is probably only for the USA ,but there is a huge big world outside the USA :waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
Dont know where you got that statistic from ?? but worldwide the Goldwing outsells the HARLEY ,your stat is probably only for the USA ,but there is a huge big world outside the USA :waving::waving::waving:
:applause::applause::applause: Yes the USA is a small market as far as total cycle sales in the world.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I'm sure Harleys are quite rare in most of the world as i'm sure they are priced high and they have no smaller models for thee dealers to sell As im thinking most of the world rides on less than 1000cc bikes and actually use them for transportation not just as a toy.
And my stat came from me . i'm positive over here 90% of the time you see a touring bike it a harley. Its a rare and lucky day you see another wing out and about.
Honda made magic with the gl1000. but is been down hill from there . But I really don't honestly remember riding a bike that I did not like.
wilf

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Upgrade 1800 GW

I have no idea how...but I can't stop thinking I'd love to see a new Goldwing in 2000cc. And while I'm at it...8 cylinders. Whether it be opposed 8, or even a tiny V8...imagine the fun that could be had with the exhaust note. I think it could be done and made to work out very well. That's my vision anyway. Fire away!
I would like to see that they can do something like;
Remove the hard to get airfilter, replace that space with a intercooler and than on the out side skirting where the air flow goes in the engine, you can just pop in a two round like airfilters, little bit more hp with the intercooler and change the airfilter is a breeze.
That,s all.:grin:

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
A common comment at Sturgis this year, in town, in Deadwood and at most of the other sites...."There seems to be a heck of a lot of Goldwings here this year"!! And that was from non- Wingers we over heard.

I think the 1800cc's are big enough.
To make it a little more like a HD Ultra?!?!.... We see that Yamaha did with the Venture. Not a huge success! The old Venture Royale, updated would have given the BMW Lt a good run, but they chose to de-tune it and make a HD clone.

I would like to see Honda keep the 1800. "Really" redesign the style. Add a 6 speed transmission plus a electric windshield. Let us chose the GPS we want to use and make ABS brakes standard.

If they go to a clutchless transmission.... I will be looking at the Victory Cross Country!

Corventure Dave

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.