Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just changed the air filter and upon re installing the filter I noticed that there was not any type seal in the housing or cover groove yet, one upper and one lower is shown on the parts break down on the Honda parts direct website. Did Honda omit these on the 2000 California model? I purchased this bike new and with 23000 miles on it this is the first time that the air filter has been changed. There is apparently should be a gasket under the Charcoal filter as well. Also, I see comments on A sub filter. How often should this be replaced?
Thanks
Martin

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
nope,
you need that gasket.

I got caught the "hard way" because that lower gasket was missing.
I was going to Lake Havasu, AZ and missed a turn and ended up on a powdery sugar fine sand. Trying to turn the 1500 around, threw up huge clouds of fine dust.

The carbs got so full of sand, that it would not run much past about 1500 RPM.
I was 5 miles from pavement, and 10 miles from Parker, AZ
it was a very nasty time of it, but I finally made it to a hotel and shut it down for the night.

had to remove all of the stuff to get to the carb slides.... my son was with me, rode from Parker to Lake Havasu to find an all night store that sold carb cleaner...

in the end, we continued our trip, but we lost a full 24 hours over powder sand.

My advice, get the gaskets.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to cover off again and double check. Another point, I have a non California air filter which I brought a number of years ago, it does not have the charcoal insert. Do you anyone see an issue with the tuning of the carbs that would hinder the use of the non California air filter?

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, the seals are in fact in place. Just need to find out if I can you the non California air filter. I now live in Oregon.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope,
you need that gasket.

I got caught the "hard way" because that lower gasket was missing.
I was going to Lake Havasu, AZ and missed a turn and ended up on a powdery sugar fine sand. Trying to turn the 1500 around, threw up huge clouds of fine dust.

The carbs got so full of sand, that it would not run much past about 1500 RPM.
I was 5 miles from pavement, and 10 miles from Parker, AZ
it was a very nasty time of it, but I finally made it to a hotel and shut it down for the night.

had to remove all of the stuff to get to the carb slides.... my son was with me, rode from Parker to Lake Havasu to find an all night store that sold carb cleaner...

in the end, we continued our trip, but we lost a full 24 hours over powder sand.

My advice, get the gaskets.
I am so sorry that this happened to you. I'm glad that it worked out in the end for you. Upon closer inspection I did find the the seals were in place. Which makes sense as the air filter housing was as clean as a whistle.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Martin,
Just a shot in the dark but did you check to see if the seals are not stuck to the old air cleaner element?
Mike,
I did find them still in place in the cover and housing. That will teach me not to use a decent work light.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Mike,
I did find them still in place in the cover and housing. That will teach me not to use a decent work light.
The 2 filters are completely interchangeable.....sort of. The extra charcoal element is there to collect fuel vapor that would vent from the fuel bowl in to the atmosphere when the engine is not running. The charcoal element is supposed to collect the vapors when the bike sits and purge them in to the engine the next time you run the bike.
If it is not there the bike will emit vapor from the fuel bowls into the atmosphere like the bikes do in the other 49 states..
Below is a link that will talk about the air filter and the sub-filter which should be changed every 5 or 10 years. They fall apart from age more than miles. Easy job and just a couple of dollars.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I don't think very many California 1500 owners use the Calif filter. I know I didn't and neither did any of my Calif friends

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If the bike has/had an aftermarket "K&N" Air Filter, then the lower gasket is removed.

Also, I always run a bead of "K&N Air Filter Grease" around the mating surface/lip to the new filter... creates a perfect seal to the new filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts