Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I can't seem to find adequate info searching for solutions to my problem, so here goes.

I am the third owner of a 25th Anniversary Goldwing. I acquired from a seller in North Carolina with 8K miles on the odometer. He isn't aware of any modications that would have resulted in the poor gas mileage issue.

Around town, I can only manage 27 mpg driving conservatively. I checked the exhaust on my 5-gas analyzer here at the college and it is running at about 5% CO at 2000 rpm under no load. It is running very rich, but plugs are not fouling out but show black carbon deposits.

I had the carbs gone through last year by a reputable shop and although it runs smoother, no improvement in mileage noticed. I suspect the original owner had the carbs modified to increase power/performance but this is only a guess.

My question is, what else, besides modified carbs, can cause the rich condition and yet exibit no other driveability or operational problems? It starts fine with the choke and I verified the chokes are releasing completely. The Honda dealer verified ignition and timing belt, etc. What else can I check short of replacing the carbs? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

Partially plugged air filter is an easy check. I wouldn't doubt someone installed larger main jets thinking it would give more power. Are the needles adjustable? (washers) High float setting might increase richness a little too.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. A manual will confirm the jet sizes for the year of your bike. when running rich its mostly the wrong float hight as far as i can remember all 1500 are 7.5mm if this is wrong re to big when they sync the carbs it wont give a correct reading so you need to go back and check same if there correct i would make it run a little lean buy closeing the gap a little also is the bike getting up to temp ok if the termostat is always open the bike would run coldas there is a heat exchanger on the bottom of the carbs to help vaporise the gas for better combustion

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

ibhomer
Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

If you got a 25th edition with only 8K, you got a low mileage bike.

27 mpg. Sounds a bit low... I have a 1996 with about 44k... on the best of days I do 30. I have it up on the stand now replacing the timing belts... Rudy suggested that replace the timing trigger wheel while I was in there... I'm awaiting the part.

For what I can read and understand that'll boost the mileage and power a bit... hoping so anyway...

It will interesting to see how long this threads goes before someone mentions Seafoam.

G'Luck!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Mike Toon wrote:
Partially plugged air filter is an easy check. I wouldn't doubt someone installed larger main jets thinking it would give more power. Are the needles adjustable? (washers) High float setting might increase richness a little too.
I trust the shop that did the carb overhauls so I'm pretty sure the float levels are okay and that they are synched correctly. I have a feeling someone drilled out the main jets so checking the numbers may not shed any light. I suppose I can use my pin gauges to check them, but then what? I can't really putt down to the local Honda Hardware store and pick up the correct replacements, can I?

I was hoping for something obvious that might be malfunctioning; such as those solenoids. What do they do, anyhow? Please be very technical if you know because I've worked on autos for 30 years and have been teaching computer and emission controls (the BAR Smog Check Program) for the last 12 years so I am fairly sharp on cars and heavy duty trucks (LNG). I was raised on carburetion and now am addicted to fuel injection. Thanks again.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

The 1500 is not known for good "mileage".. 27mpg "around town" is perhaps a little low, but a lot depends on how you drive it.. It is not terrible... I have a 2000SE also, and last tank was about 32mpg highway... my 1100 gets 40+... I do think that your CO is too high ( was that at idle?) suggesting too rich... if that was idle, that can be leaned out with the idle mixture screws and will affect mileage particularly "around town" (low power)... and finally, the already mentioned float levels would be suspect to me even if a "reputable" shop did it.. unfortunately that requires a complete teardown to check it... ( I am kinda down on mechanics lately.. my recent experience has been do it myself or pay someone to mess with it before I still have to do it myself.. ) SDB/Jim

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

I have a 97 1500, I would be tickled pink to get 27mpg. On a good day with the sail up and a 40 mph tail wind (Which isn't hard to do in Iowa), I get 24 MAX in town.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
The 1500 is not known for good "mileage".. 27mpg "around town" is perhaps a little low, but a lot depends on how you drive it.. It is not terrible... I have a 2000SE also, and last tank was about 32mpg highway... my 1100 gets 40+... I do think that your CO is too high ( was that at idle?) suggesting too rich... if that was idle, that can be leaned out with the idle mixture screws and will affect mileage particularly "around town" (low power)... and finally, the already mentioned float levels would be suspect to me even if a "reputable" shop did it.. unfortunately that requires a complete teardown to check it... ( I am kinda down on mechanics lately.. my recent experience has been do it myself or pay someone to mess with it before I still have to do it myself.. ) SDB/Jim
I would have done the work myself but time is more important than money these days. But alas, if you want it done right, better do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

us385south wrote:
If you got a 25th edition with only 8K, you got a low mileage bike.

27 mpg. Sounds a bit low... I have a 1996 with about 44k... on the best of days I do 30. I have it up on the stand now replacing the timing belts... Rudy suggested that replace the timing trigger wheel while I was in there... I'm awaiting the part.

For what I can read and understand that'll boost the mileage and power a bit... hoping so anyway...

It will interesting to see how long this threads goes before someone mentions Seafoam.

G'Luck!
I bought it five years ago with 8K and now it has 38K, mostly in-town driving. Let me know how the 4 degree advance wheel works.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

27 mpg is terirble , my 1500 gets no mercy and gives me a constant 40mpg, the best ever is 50mpg, but now its getting on in life 40 is the norm. Have you checked the obvious such as binding brakes, blocked air filter, ford F100 hooked on the back ?

I've never had the carby to pieces but did synchronise it once ( didn't need doing)/.

I think your original idea of someone tampering with the jets could be on the money. can you contact the previos owner and ask him ? I read a while ago that the aftermarket trigger wheel made little difference , but you should get better mpg as standard. If the carby was serviced by a pro then you should expect the float levels etc to be right. The alternative is to strip it down yourself and go through it step by step.

good luck

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Check the tire pressures, i did a dumb arse thing and never checked the tire pressure for ages and went on a 1000 mile trip, my fuel was down to 25 mpg even though the tires felt fully pressured when a pressed hard on the treads, i then checked them at fuel station and front was 15psi and rear 20psi, fuel shot up to around 40 mpg after adding air.

Iknow to check the tire pressure isa bible thing to do whenbike cruising and iam a dumb arse.

Ride safe

savi18

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Over size jets will not causea drastic change in gas mileage.

"Around town", 27 mpg in city drivingthe LA area might not be too bad.

Take her out for a real ride on the highway. Not the LA traffic jam(s) on the interstate(s). Keep her under 3,000 rpms and check mpg. Should be around 40.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Yeah...what Foosman said!
I was somewhat dissapointed with the mileage on my 91 1500 in general....just averaging around 30 to 32 mpg until I took a short trip up the highway and back and then checked it.
Gas mileage shot up to over 40mpg then......42 approx.

If I get the notion to push the bike....down the mileage goes.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

89 1500, 25 miles to work 25 back. About half is interstate @ 70MPH. 34MPG on the button every time. Starts great, 1/3 choke for a few seconds, then once I'm in 2nd gear and revved up, off the choke. Smooth idle and lots of power. I don't dare monkey with it, but would love to get 40MPH. The only thing on my to do list is to get the upgrade air filter and check the sub air filter that people have mentioned lately (use the search).
Maybe try a set of the platinum plugs.

Oh Yeah, SeaFoam. Dump half the can in and ride about 175 miles, eat lunch, put other
half of can in and ride home. Repeat as needed.:)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Whoop! 'dere it is!

Whoop! 'dere it is!

Seafoam... mentioned yet again!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
Whoop! 'dere it is!

Whoop! 'dere it is!

Seafoam... mentioned yet again!
Hey, we love our Seafoam here!!! In fact I need to go pick some up for both my bike and the truck.:action::action::action::action::action:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Hey, we love our Seafoam here!!! In fact I need to go pick some up for both my bike and the truck.
hey... Ihear ya!I have a long history with outboard motors, Seadoos and such. Seafoam is practicaly worshipped in those circles...

·
Premium Member
60,113 Posts
imported post

ibhomer
What kind of mileage do you get on the highway ??
LA you got lots of freeways to blow it out..
Might help if you got on the road and ran for a couple hours at speed..........

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Foodman wrote:
ibhomer
What kind of mileage do you get on the highway ??
LA you got lots of freeways to blow it out..
Might help if you got on the road and ran for a couple hours at speed..........

Last month, I, on my 2000 GL1500SE and my co-worker, on his 1997 GL1500SE, took a round trip to Monterey from here in Long Beach, about 800 miles. Strong head and side winds going up and no wind coming back on Highway 1 through Big Sur (beautiful!!!). I averaged 30 mpg for the whole trip while he averaged 40 mpg!!! His bike has consistently been able to go 225 miles on a tank while I need to stop at 175 with the low fuel light on for 20 miles!!!! Try to tell me there isn't something screwy with my setup. And yes, I set tire pressure to 40psi just for the hell of it and I have a fresh K&N air filter. I do, however, have a 4" taller and thicker than stock windshield; which I know causes more wind resistance, but my co-worker's Wing has the same windshield. There is definitely something odd with my bike.

By the way, I still need some kind of an answer on how theair solenoids work and if they have much to do fuel economy. The Honda repair manual only tells how to service them, but not how they work and what they do.

Thanks again for all the replies.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.