Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Howdy folks!

I'm a relatively new Goldwing owner and I love my ride. I've stepped up from a Honda Shadow Aero 750 to a 2000 GL1500 SE and love it. Bought it used with 125,000 miles on it and it runs like a top and pulls like a train. The previous owner took phenomonal care of this bike and I plan to carry on the tradition.

There are a few things I need to work on, but the one thing receiving my constant attention and angst between dusk and dawn is the LCD. It works, but the contrast is not good in low-light situations. In the sun I can read the display without difficulty, but at night when all there is illuminating the display is the backlight, it is very difficult to see.

Is there a way to adjust the contrast and brightness on the LCD? I've not opened up the dash, but are there external backlights for this display that can be replaced, or is the LCD a fixed unit with non-servicable parts? Or, is this just a dim display that I'll gladly attack this winter and try to improve if possible?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/80678.htmlhi jeff i just replaced my dash bulbs a few weeks ago there is one small bulb that lights the lcd yours may be gone or it has a rubber filter fitted over it that may be burnt from the heat and gone dark in color its a bit of work to get to it but worth it in the end

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks, Peter!

That's exactly the information I was looking for. I wasn't sure if the LCD had a built-in backlight integrated into the panel, or if it has a replaceable bulb (or bulbs).Your dash with new lights looks watts brighter than mine. Good stuff.

I've got some winter maintenance projects on the list, and now I'll be adding a task for new dash lights.

Jeff

·
Pwhoever
3,341 Posts
imported post

I have had the light behind the lcd go out occasionally. I just have to rap the plastic face for the gauges with my knuckles a couple times and it always comes back on. I'm guessing the bulb is going bad on mine and I will eventually have to replace it but not yet...

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

I did away with the little blue rubber cap that goes over the bulb. It lights up real nice now. just use the same size bulb.

Hickey

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

On mine there are two bulbs lighting the LCD backplane.
I agree about using clear new bulbs. The blue isn't necessary and old bulbs get metal vapor on the inside of the glass from the filament as the lamp ages.
For those that tap the lamp active again, these are the wedge base lamps that have a round wire on each side to make contact. This is a crappy way to make lamp connections. I always clean my socket bases and use new lamps... i.e. new wires to a clean socket.

Oxidation is the bane of all electrical connections, be it lamps, screw connections, crimps or plugs. In power circuits, once it starts, it gets hot, increasing the oxidation rate and then more heat until it gets to the point where it either burns open or stops conducting.
In low power circuits it just gets more resistance as time goes on.

If it weren't for connections on electrical devices, things would almost never go bad electrically.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I'm about to open up my dash to replace the LCD panel. Sounds like a good time to replace the other bulbs as well. The current dash lights are fairly dim.
Where can I get the bulbs and what bulbs are they? What about the led option? Where can you get led replacements?

Thanks, Mark.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure but I think I use 157 wedge bulbs in my bike. I replace them all because of how much stuff you have to remove.

Hickey

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

SailorKane wrote:
I'm about to open up my dash to replace the LCD panel. Sounds like a good time to replace the other bulbs as well. The current dash lights are fairly dim.
Where can I get the bulbs and what bulbs are they? What about the led option? Where can you get led replacements?

Thanks, Mark.
Here are some of the notes I have collected on the subject when I was looking....

-------------------------

LED's don't work very well in the dash and the low fuel light will not work at all - stay with the tungsten

How many of each wattage should be in the shop manual

Here is a list of the sizes

Position Light 2x3.4w 6.8w
Turn Signal/Pos 2x8.0w 16.0w
Meter Illumination 4x3.4w 13.6w
LCD Illumination 2x3.0w 6.0w Indicator Lights 5x3.4w 17.0w
Indicator Lights 4x1.7w 6.8w

Use 194 for most of the 3.4w bulbs, 168 for the position and low fuel

24 (high output) or 74, 73 (low output) for indicator lights

the 1156 - 1157 leds will have to be right angle or they will not be visible.

------------------------------

just went thru this bulb replacement drill when I had my dash off for speaker replacement. Bulb count is 17 total on my '96 1500. I used #168's, #194's and #24's. All purchased at AutoZone and local parts store. #168's are brighter than #194's, and #24's are brighter that #74's. Here's what I put in:

Qty 4 - #194 (instrument lights)
Qty 3 - #194 (CruiseOn/CruiseSet/OD)
Qty 4 - #194 (HiBeam/Neutral/Reverse/SideStand)
Qty 2 - #168 (Low Fuel Warning/Low Oil Pressure)
Qty 2 - #24 (left turn signal/right turn signal)
Qty 1 - #24 (LCD Display (top portion)
Qty 1 - Either #24 or #194 (Temp/Fuel guages)

One caveat - the bulb for the temp/fuel gauges/lower LCD display area, is buried inside the instrument cluster assembly. Disassembly required to get to this bulb. All others easily accessible with dash off. On the temp/fuel bulb, I didn't record if it was a #24 or #194 I put in..but it's one of those, most likely a #24 -

-------------------

the 4 #194 bulbs for the instrument gauges (2 for tach/ 2 for speedo) and the 2 #24 bulbs for the LCD display (upper/lower LCD & temp/fuel gauge area) are the blue ones. Rest of them were clears if I'm remembering correctly -

As a side note, I put in some red #194's for the instrument gauges, and will be changing them out to either #194 clears or blues next time I"m into the dash. Looks pretty good, other than the small detail of not being able to see what speed I'm actually travelling at night. The gauge display that reflects the speed and rpm's you're running are manufactured in a blue color. The red bulbs just make it too dark to read your speed. Blues or clears would be the bulb needed. I'm wondering if the 194B's would make it too dark as well. These blue bulbs seem to be a tad darker than the blue condoms that were on the original clear bulbs. If doing blue's, I'd leave the dash off overnight and check it out at night to see if it's too dark before re-assembling.

-----------------------

The last time I did mine, I did all clear, and found it fine fot nite time viewing. I wonder if I will ever use the blue ones (well, maybe for a test) again.

at the parts store, they will sell bulbs with an item number of 194B, or 194NA for example. The "B" in 194B designates a blue tinted bulb, and the NA in 194NA designates a "Natural Amber" tinted bulb.

So yes, you can get blue or amber bulbs, or the clear bulbs. The thing about the 194B blue bulbs, is it is a darker shade of blue I think than the blue condom covered bulbs that are factory installed in the cluster assembly. May or may not be a problem at night, just depends on the individual. I tend to agree and think next time I"m in there I'll install clear bulbs. The gauges are already a bluish tint, so the clear bulbs will still render a bluish appearance.

-------------------------

The bulbs for the LCD are either 24 or 73,74 and they do not come in blue so if you want them to be blue peel off the old condom.

I used 194 NA (amber) in several of the places with yellow displays. I was going to use 24 NA in the LCD next time I changed, but I sold the bike first. I think amber would improve the visibility at night over the blue which has more glare

I suggest 168 for the fuel light as it is brighter and will tolerate an aging thermistor better.

-----------------------

I replaced mine last year. Used clear bulbs for everything and I'm glad I did. Much easier to read the dash at night with a quick glance, and not so bright as to ruin my night vision

Last edited on Thu Jul 19th, 2007 08:34 pm by Rudy

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Rudy:

That information is perfect and neatly summarized. Thanks for digging through your archives and putting this up. The dash on mine is lit at night, but it's dim. I'm going to wager the bulbs are old and just need to be replaced. I learned the same thing with headlights -- they do lose intensity with time.

Everyone -- I appreciate the help! Hopefully as I learn more about my bike and its workings I'll become a more active participant in conversations.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

OK. Along the lines of "its never easy"...
It looks like the parts manual is recommending 158 bulbs. Rudy recommends 194. The 158's are nominally 3.4w. The 194 is supposed to be 3.8w. However, I bought a couple 194 long life bulbs in Walmart (194LL) which stated they were 4.6w.

I'm interested in good illumination, but don't want to melt the instrument panel.

Thoughts?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Think I'd stick to the clear 158's just to be safe. 1.2 watts extra could make a big difference in such a small housing. The ones that are .4 watt higher one should be no problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.