Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing slow air leakage from the adjustable shock on the rear of the bike. I can air it up, make the 10 mile trip to work but by the time I get there many times it has dropped down to around 10 psi. I was told during the last service that the rear shocks were "blown out" and needed to be replaced. I have tried my darndest to find replacements that will allow me to keep the air adjustable feature but it appears that Honda (or anyone else who sells new bike parts) has no options to do a direct replacement. I have seen many mentions of Progressive 416 shocks but they also seem to be a dying breed and most times the website says they won't fit my bike. The shop recommended just going with a manually adjustable spring shocks but I really don't feel like laying on the ground whenever the other half and I want to take a ride and then again when we get back redoing it for solo riding.

My questions are:

Is there and air adjustable option for me or not?
If so, what will fit my bike? Since I do very little of my own maintenance, it needs to be something that, if not a direct replacement, real close so I don't get clobbered by labor charges making modifications to get them to fit.
I have searched eBay and found some air shocks but am hesitant to put an "unknown" shock on the bike, especially if I am paying to have it done. Removing it for return and replacing it with something else would be an expensive hassle I don't want to have.

If it matters, I am in the Phoenix, AZ metro area so the bike gets ridden pretty much year round although long trips have been few and far between.

While I have everyone's attention, I am also looking for the "25th Anniversary" medallion that is glued to the chrome portion of the fairing under the headlight. Lost mine several years ago and they seem to be a ghost item as well.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I would check the lines for leaks,ther used to rebuild kits for those.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would check the lines for leaks,ther used to rebuild kits for those.
I am trusting the shop that the shocks are wore out. To the best of my memory (I bought the bike new in April '00), these are the original shocks on a bike with 94k+ on the clock. Probably well past the time for new shocks. As for the rebuild kits, I am not finding anything whatsoever on them so far. If you happen to run across a link for them, please post it here.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your message box

David
I am either much dumber than I had thought or there is nothing there. Not seeing anything in any message box. Is it accessed from the profile page or somewhere else?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
There’s only one seal in there and a bladder,( think), mine has progrssive and near the same as original,if the bladder is bad then it’s a lost cause,seal ,that can be replaced if you can find one.,I have two air shocks and yours has one?
1991 actually has breakdowns of the shock,wonder if they are the same

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
I am trusting the shop that the shocks are wore out. To the best of my memory (I bought the bike new in April '00), these are the original shocks on a bike with 94k+ on the clock. Probably well past the time for new shocks. As for the rebuild kits, I am not finding anything whatsoever on them so far. If you happen to run across a link for them, please post it here.
there are several good shops in the metro area there, but D&D Discount Motorcycles in Tempe is the BEST bar none, he does not care what age the bike is, as long as parts can be obtained.... if OEM parts are not available, he will take your 'new parts' and install them for you, but you have to sign a waiver that he can't warranty "your parts"....
Mark is the best mechanic I have seen in vendor shops.
used him for several years when I lived in Mesa.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there are several good shops in the metro area there, but D&D Discount Motorcycles in Tempe is the BEST bar none, he does not care what age the bike is, as long as parts can be obtained.... if OEM parts are not available, he will take your 'new parts' and install them for you, but you have to sign a waiver that he can't warranty "your parts"....
Mark is the best mechanic I have seen in vendor shops.
used him for several years when I lived in Mesa.

That is the shop who told me the shocks were bad. But they also advised that OEM replacements weren't available and I would have to go with an manually adjustable shock. I am happy with the service they have performed so far and whenever I get a shock(s), it will go back there to have the work done. I've been hunting for either some OEM knock-off or at least an aftermarket shock that can be made to work with the onboard compressor like the original without a whole lot of modification to the system. Not having any luck so figured I would try here where all the really knowledgeable people seem to hang out. ;-)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Just put progressive shocks on it,then you will have 2 Air shocks.should be still available,they are good guys,I used them when I lived there,

huum,I just looked for them but no luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I took the set off my 99 SE, I put on Progressive 412 Heavy Duty. I set them where they work best for two up, and they are great.
I have another bike I ride alone, so the Wing is for the wife. I don't need to adjust them.

I will sell you the take offs cheap. The air shock held air.
David

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Best take the deal,not many choices now,really hope my 412 don’t fail

·
Magic Moderator
4,567 Posts
See if you can find a set of air shocks from a Harley touring series bike, as they are made by the same company and may be an alternative. Give Ebay a look for the parts also.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had a set off my 1200 ltd, 1985 and I cleaned them out put new fluid and installed them on my 1500. You can find used air shocks all over the place, if you know where to look. I also had the air lines, just had to go too the motorcycle wreaking yard and find a manifold to split the lines. It's going to be hard to find someone who will install them for you and rebuild them. Progressive shocks are not what I would call better than OME Honda shocks. If you can't do the work it will be a problem. Good Luck

·
Registered
175 Posts
The problem I found was the shocks are 13.5" and they don't make many. The Progressives I bought for my 1500 were also for a harley. Shiny chrome. No one will see them but me. :)

David

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The problem I found was the shocks are 13.5" and they don't make many. The Progressives I bought for my 1500 were also for a harley. Shiny chrome. No one will see them but me. :)

David
Check your messages.... ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts