Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Great 1500 you have there! I did not see any contact info in your listing though.
Many people, like me, simply will not respond to any craigslist ads that do not have contact info. Thought I'd mention that since no contact info may turn away some otherwise interested buyers.
Not that I could ever afford it myself anyway.

If like me you don't want to give out real info to public and be bugged to death forever, you can grab a NET10 cell phone with 60 days service and 300 minutes air time for about $30. Use it for online sales and when done just toss it.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great 1500 you have there! I did not see any contact info in your listing though.
Many people, like me, simply will not respond to any craigslist ads that do not have contact info. Thought I'd mention that since no contact info may turn away some otherwise interested buyers.
Not that I could ever afford it myself anyway.

If like me you don't want to give out real info to public and be bugged to death forever, you can grab a NET10 cell phone with 60 days service and 300 minutes air time for about $30. Use it for online sales and when done just toss it.
Good point, I'll go in and leave a number. However Chromo, don't you have some friends that wants a perfect 1500? I'm going to try to get myself a 2003 HD Ultra, help me out bro.

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
Friendly advice, keep the Wing, forget the Ultra! Had 2 of them. Sold my 2000SE to get one of them. That was a mistake!
But, if you want excessive heat and like shaking...........................
Go rent a Ultra on a nice 85+ day in Florida and go for a ride.
We even rented a Ultra while in the Smoky Mountains on vacation to see if there was any changes in the newer ones w/the 103 engine.
Heat was worse, vibration was worse and there was way to much shifting because of the under powered motor!
Then you might want to rent a 1800 for a day.
Took my wife for a ride on one back in 06. She ask me how soon I was getting rid of the Ultra. Told her as soon as we get back to the dealership!
If you do get the Ultra, get the gear drive for the cams installed and get rid of the cam chains and the tensioners that can be a big problem!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
That is a nice looking bike and with all the extras should make someone a nice Wing. One question, I thought the 1998-2000 GLs all had white gauges or did you change them?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
That is a nice looking bike and with all the extras should make someone a nice Wing. One question, I thought the 1998-2000 GLs all had white gauges or did you change them?
I believe they switched back to black for the 2000 model year.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Friendly advice, keep the Wing, forget the Ultra! Had 2 of them. Sold my 2000SE to get one of them. That was a mistake!
But, if you want excessive heat and like shaking...........................
Go rent a Ultra on a nice 85+ day in Florida and go for a ride.
We even rented a Ultra while in the Smoky Mountains on vacation to see if there was any changes in the newer ones w/the 103 engine.
Heat was worse, vibration was worse and there was way to much shifting because of the under powered motor!
Then you might want to rent a 1800 for a day.
Took my wife for a ride on one back in 06. She ask me how soon I was getting rid of the Ultra. Told her as soon as we get back to the dealership!
If you do get the Ultra, get the gear drive for the cams installed and get rid of the cam chains and the tensioners that can be a big problem!
I might regret it, that is true. But if one never tried, one will never know. My Wing is like a Camry, super reliable but dead boring. I think a 2003 Ultra will be a hoot for my longer trips. Locally I use my other bikes....

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I might regret it, that is true. But if one never tried, one will never know. My Wing is like a Camry, super reliable but dead boring. I think a 2003 Ultra will be a hoot for my longer trips. Locally I use my other bikes....
one thing for sure, if one bike satisfied everybody there would only be one kind made. ;) good luck with your sale and with your next bike, whatever it is.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Good luck with the sale... Hope you like the Ultra... I get the urge once in a while and go rent one for day or two... I get it... but come back to my senses...

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
Great Bike, good luck on your sale.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I'll preface this by saying "not judging anyone here":

But how would the Ultra bring more pleasure to a long trip? It seems like everything about it would be a step backwards for touring, (vibration, noise, less reliable, etc.). Short jaunts, blvd cruising maybe OK.
The Wing is more comparable to a Lexus and the HD would be closer to a '90's era F-150.

Don't get me wrong...I think a guy should get whatever he wants...but this is the first time EVER I've heard anyone express this line of logic. Me, If I wanted more touring excitement...I'd lean towards a ST of some kind...ST1300, FJR, etc.(all of which I strongly considered before 'Winging it), so I think I must be missing the whole point somehow.

But...best of luck with your new ride when you get it. The one thing a Harley does better than any other brand is...be a Harley, and many have tried duplicating that mistique!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I wish... I wish...
(clicking my heals together)
I wish... I wish... I wish... I wish... I wish...

Someone's not hearing me.....

. . . . . . darn

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dang- If ONLY my wife would let me get a 2nd Wing!!! VERY nice ride, I can picture this bike here in my garage, just waiting to be ridden! (not to mention the idea of riding it to northern MN...)

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does everything pictured come with the bike?? :ROFL:
You don't want her cooking anyway so don't worry......

Anyways, here's an update: I put it on Ebay and had two guys offering me my asking price of $8900,-. Then we sat down in the garage and looked at it realizing we will never get anything remotely close to it for the money, so we canceled the deal and decided to keep it. That being said, lots of people bashing the HD here, as expected, but it still has a ton more soul than the average GW. I am still looking for, and will buy, a 2003 HD Ultra Classic. I will then make it mine by doing the mods I find necessary and keep the old GW as a loaner bike to my visitors. I have also decided to chrome the wheels on the old GW as well as giving her a new paint job. Nothing wrong with the paint in any way, shape, or form, but it is turning silver with a few "adjustments" to match the rest of the toy box.

Thanks for all the kind words about my old wing though....:bow:

·
Registered
119 Posts
You don't want her cooking anyway so don't worry......

Anyways, here's an update: I put it on Ebay and had two guys offering me my asking price of $8900,-. Then we sat down in the garage and looked at it realizing we will never get anything remotely close to it for the money, so we canceled the deal and decided to keep it. That being said, lots of people bashing the HD here, as expected, but it still has a ton more soul than the average GW. I am still looking for, and will buy, a 2003 HD Ultra Classic. I will then make it mine by doing the mods I find necessary and keep the old GW as a loaner bike to my visitors. I have also decided to chrome the wheels on the old GW as well as giving her a new paint job. Nothing wrong with the paint in any way, shape, or form, but it is turning silver with a few "adjustments" to match the rest of the toy box.

Thanks for all the kind words about my old wing though....:bow:
I have a old cream puff 1999SE with 26k sitting next to my 2010 Ultra with 30k.
Both are great bikes, and would ride either coast to coast today.
I'm probably going to have to sell one of them eventually, but can't make my mind up?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have a old cream puff 1999SE with 26k sitting next to my 2010 Ultra with 30k.
Both are great bikes, and would ride either coast to coast today.
I'm probably going to have to sell one of them eventually, but can't make my mind up?
What color is the wing?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.