Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys... Great board.. Really loving it...

So a couple of questions... and if you care some detail on the bike is below.. after the questions...

Thanks for reading my post and any suggestions...

1. I am pretty sure I have a vac leak.. as it surges choke off from about 800 to 1300-1500... Covering a carb with my hand it starts to run a bit better.. and smooth out.

2. I pulled the vac line from the auto petcock.. and it still runs.. forever.. never did it run out of fuel.. I expected it to quit after it ran out of gas.. seems like the auto petcock is stuck open?

3. Weird accelerator pump issues... nice and strong stream of gas out of the right side nozzlewhen you twist the throttle.. although no stream out of the left nozzle...

Looks like just one pump.. so I am thinking one must be totally plugged? If the pump was weak I would expect both to be working or neither..? Anyway to try to unplug it without pulling the carbs? I tried bending a nozzle of a straw on the carb cleaner and shooting it up the indent on the under side of the nozzle.. nothing changed... :(

So anything else I am over looking before diving in and pulling the carbs out?

Details....

So... I have a 2000 goldwing and it only has 5500 miles.. and I am the original owner.. What can I say I have a few sport bikes and they get more riding time..

At any rate.... I am getting the bike ready for some 2 up riding with my girlfriend..

About a year ago, it was running pretty bad.. etc.. didn't have much extra time so took it to the delearship.. (been going there for 20 yrs..) They said I needed a carb rebuild. I know it is super low miles but it sits alot, so I said yes.

They called to say it was ready so I left work early to make it before they closed. Half way there, they call and say sorry the tech left the key in and turned on and the battery is dead. Can I get it another day... Since I have already been driving and left work early.. I say no.. I get there they said.. oh we just put in a new battery since we screwed up...

I leave feeling like the bike got some needed attention. It didn't idle quite right but it was a bit cold still.

So fast forward a few months.. Bike wont start even though it lives on a trickle charger... So I look at the battery it is literally half the size of the battery box.. and not nearly the right batt for the wing.. Super frustated.. for sure.. I go get a new correct size battery and actually seemed like it ran a bit better.. definitely started like a new bike.

Ok.. so.. here is is the full year later.. bike idle never did really improve..:( :lash:

So I am in the process of preparing to pull the carbs off and do the job right.. :) I hope.. lol.. I haven't had the wing apart before.

As I keep hoping I will find the magic hose.. or get the magic dose of seaform.. b12 chemtool.. etc.. to fix it.. ( I know wishful thinking)...

I am just trying to do a few basic things to check it out...for a baseline before it comes apart.. I have a set of carb sync gages on the way to me.. and oh yeah a new airbox and joint tube..

Dealer totally ruined the airbox and joint tube when they did the carbs.. screw heads were ruined .. nothing left.. and they left them that way... Anyway... that dealer stinks...

·
Administrator
26,156 Posts
imported post

Judging by the way they did other things the dealers monkey probably screwed up the carbs too.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum.
These wings are really temperamental. They don't like competition with other bikes that get riden and you leave them alone so they get cranky.
The gas we have to run is nothing but bad news if it's left setting more than a week especially if it's hot out. I left mine 2 weeks to go do a job out of town with my van and when I got back it puked and sputtered for a mile.
Try some seafoam in the tank. Use @3-4 oz in the tank There is a seafoam spray cleaner at oriley's auto parts to spray in the ventury and on the slides.
Then apologize to it for not giving it attention and ride the snot out of it.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

Another thing to try is, let the bike warm up so the temp gauge goes up a bit. Turn the idle screw (knob forward and to the right of the gas cap) numerous times all the way clockwise and then counter clockwise. You could also spray a little lube down the cable before you do this. After doing this, set the idle to around 800rpms. Sometimes this will help the surging.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hi Guys... Thanks for all the responses... It is funny to see my bike at the momemnt.. a pile of "tupperware" etc.. Oh well... making progress I hope...Getting ready to pull the carbs this weekend.. probably..

@pwhoever...

Question on the twisting the idle adj... I have turned it several turns each way.. My question is will it actually stop either way or just keep turning?

thanks

John

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Question on the twisting the idle adj... I have turned it several turns each way.. My question is will it actually stop either way or just keep turning?

It should stop most likly the linkage is hung up lift the air box off and spray the wd40 down there before you pull the carbs
Is the reves going up and down when you ajust it?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi Peter..

Yes the rpm's do adjust with the adjuster.. It only has 5500 miles.. and is garaged.. the adjuster as well as the bike looks brand new. One I adjust it to 800rpm.. It starts oscillating, surging. I have sprayed under the carbs with some starter fluid.. seems to speed up quite a bit.. I think I have a vac leak.. either from a hose or the isolators on the manifold..

Thanks
John

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi John the 5500miles is the problem these bike were made to be ridden left sitting and the rubbers start to perish or worse you may have a critters nest in there also the gas turns to mush in the carbs and it does not take much to clog a jet as there so small just a coat of varnish has an affect

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.