Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently, while riding, i noticed the speedometer was registering 0 while i was traveling about 60 mph. the bike has self canceling turn signals and i noticed at the next turn they would not self cancel. Both turn signals still work. I suspect it is the speedometer cable but since the turn signals will not self cancel as they did before the speedometer quit working, i am not sure of the problem. Has anyone had any experience with replacing the speedometer cable. it looks like a relative simple procedure, however, i am not to mechanically inclined. Is this something the Honda dealer needs to repair or can this be done by the home novice. Has anyone else had a similar problem. Looking for any advice on replacing the cable.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

The self cancellers work off the speedo, so if the speedo cable breaks the turn signals won't cancel. You can do the cable easily enough, the hard part is getting at the back of the clocks to unscrew the top end of the cable. Worst case is you will have to take the clocks out to get at it (which is the way it's supposed to be done anyway). To get the clocks out you need to remove the mirrors, windshield and dash cover.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks for the reply, bet the top end will be a pain in the butt. I recall having to take most of the top faring off just to get to the air filter. Probably will cost arm and leg for Honda dealer to replace it so probably will give it a try myself. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I'm sure glad my GL1000 doesn't have all that furniture you guys are struggling with! Speedometer cable onmy bike- in plain sight and easy to get the fingers on... 2-minute job, air filter - inside the fake tank under the tool tray... another 2-minute job.

I wouldn't know what to do with the fairings and saddlebags... probably have a nervous breakdown!

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

It's really not to difficult. Like Joe says, mirrors, screen garnish, screen and dash cover. Just make sure that the little sliders for the windshield that go into the front of the screen all go back in the right place. You should have the clocks out in under an hour.
If you need the instructions from the workshop manual. let me know and I'll mail them to you tonight.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the reply and the offer tosend instructions. That would be a great help as the owners manual does not offer any instructions. I am guessing i will only have to replace the inner cable. If you would be so kind to mail the instructions, my address is 80 Beaver Run, LaGrange, Ga, 30241. You are a great help and i appreciate it. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I was thinking about sending them as e-mail attachments, that's how I usually send them to folks here. I wouldn't want to be bothered with printing them out and posting from Ireland to USA, thats too much like work! Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send the relevent pages from my workshop manual.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Sorry about the delay Muskedime, I'll send it tonight after work. I'm mega busy at work with these high winds wrecking phone lines all over our little country, so I haven't had a lot of time to post messages here this last few days.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

i can understand that, sorry bout the weather problem, send when you can, appreciate it.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.