Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

First off....thank you all for reading this as I am sure the questions I am about to pose have, I am sure, been asked a million times and your patience is greatly appreciated. So you have my sincerest gratitude ahead of time..../salute

As said in the introduction forum where I first posted I have had crotch rockets all my life and this is my first Gold Wing. A friend of mind who has had several suggested I get an 1800 but I have to say that when I first laid eyes on the two tone red 2000 SE it was love at first sight.

The bike has been meticulously maintained by the original owner who has a folder of all he has done with the bike including receipts of oil changes every 3000 kilometers. The bike has 142,000 kilometers on it but he has not done the timing belt which is the first on my list of things to do as Honda recommends 80,000 miles which is roughly 142,000 kilometers. The Steering head bearings were done 3000 kilometers ago. The gear oil was done at 100,000 kilometers and the shaft re-greased also at the same time. I had my local Honda dealer check the alternator for capacity and to confirm the bearing was good. He thought she was one of the best maintained Gold wings he had seen in a long time...so....

Anything else I should look at or change out?

Appreciate any feedback and your time is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rod

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
The shaft and gears in the rear end should be re-greased at every tire change, at the very least. Also, since it only uses 4 ounces of gear oil, I tend to change mine out every couple of years. A quart bottle lasts a long time....

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Here are a few more things that need servicing if they have not been done. These are some items that tend to be forgotten in the regular maintenance.

Cruise filter
Sub air filter
Replace the brake and clutch fluids

Cruise filter on left side

Sub air filter on right side near vent outlets

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...The bike has 142,000 kilometers on it but he has not done the timing belt which is the first on my list of things to do as Honda recommends 80,000 miles which is roughly 142,000 kilometers...
Honda's interval is 100k miles for the timing belts... I'd also do the tensioners at that time.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Clutch and brake fluid every 2 years. (Install Speed Bleeders to make this job a snap, $7 ea.)
Left side drain tubes every 6 months.
Coolant every 3 years.
Fork oil every 3-5 years depending on km driven.

150K km on mine, A+

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You might want to acquaint yourself with the search feature. Once logged in it appears near the top and can get you to many of those former posts that answer almost any question and maybe even faster than the members.

Welcome to the club and ride safe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.