Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I bought a 2000SE US Spec bike but I cant find out how to get the two lights that are joined to the headlamp to come on, would they have been disconnected for UK spec or am I missing something?

Thanks

Malcolm

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Malcolm,

I am not sure of your laws regarding lights and safety lighting and such, but I doubt that someone has actually disabled them due to safety regulations. It is more likely that you have two burnt out light bulbs. There are no switches or anything to turn them on or off unless a PO has done this.

The front light assembly is easy to get out and replace the bulbs. Here is a link to get a them (the bulbs).

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500headlight.htm

Tim.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

If you are referring to the two smaller lights to the "outside" of the headlamp (between the headlamp and run/turn signals there on the front)...

... Those are often referred to as the "Position Lights".

Factory spec for the US is that these are on as soon as the bike's ignition key is turned to the 'RUN' position and do not go out while cranking (as the headlamps will). These are powered from the "Tail" (main) relay and fused through the "Tail/Meter/Position" (15A) fuse.

If you have tail lamps and the License Plate lamp with your key 'ON', then the position lamps should be illuminated on a nominal US Spec 1500.

The bulbs for the position lamps are T3 style 1/4 wedge base lamps -- essentially the #194 or #168 bulb that can be found in most autoparts stores. (168 should be 50% brighter than a 194 - the housing/wiring will have no issues with the extra power there). The OEM bulb is clear (white), but many people choose to add some style by opting for a colored lamp in these Positions. Additionally, LED lamp-replacements here have become common.

If your headlamps have been modified to shut off (US Spec burns the headlamps at all times that the key is in the 'ON' position), it is possible that the modification was done by switching the "ground" (earth) from the headlamp connections. The Position Lamps share a common groun (earth) path with the Headlamps. this could be of some value in your diagnosis in case a modification has been made to the headlamps' circuit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.