Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

A friend of mine said that he read about a factory 2000cc kit that was offered in a 1974 Motorcyclist magazine for the GL1000. It even gave the factory part number in the article. Has anyone else seen this article or even heard of this?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Sounds like hoo to me.

The Goldwing wasn't in production until 1975, and having seen a GL1000 engine apart more than once, I'd be hard pressed to figure out how to double the size of the compression chambers and have a working motor by the time you were done.

·
Administrator
28,062 Posts
imported post

The only way to do that would be put 2 engines on it. There has never been an engine that you could double the displacement of that I know of.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Heck, the factory hasn't even offered 2000 cc for the present Goldwing. I would doubt very much that they would offer any performance upgrades before they actually offered the bike. It would be like selling you a engine now, and we'll sell you the rest of it next year. It doesn't meet the common sense rule.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

The original goldwings where 6 cylinders. not sure of the displacement but the engine looked big.They never made it into production and honda wen with the 4 cylinder in 75.

There are pictures of the 6 cylinder wings on the web but I do not know if any are left in real life.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think that kit must have had a second bolt on engine.:shock:

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Wilf is on to something here. Seems I remember an original prototype that was a 6 banger...... and maybe 1500cc? But they went with the 1000cc 4. Then maybe you could punch out a 1500 to 2000?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
The original goldwings where 6 cylinders. not sure of the displacement but the engine looked big.They never made it into production and honda wen with the 4 cylinder in 75.

There are pictures of the 6 cylinder wings on the web but I do not know if any are left in real life.
The six cylinder prototype was 1500cc.

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
The original goldwings where 6 cylinders..
That was a prototype 6 cylinder 1400CC. It never made it into production. There was no GL1000 2000cc kit and I can't see how it is possible. There is not enough room between cylinders to bore them out to 2000cc, and the heads don't have the space to be ported out that much.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Anim8or Earl wrote:
......That was a prototype 6 cylinder 1400CC.....
We have a winner!

The rumor is that Honda dropped it to a 4 banger because of the reputation of the CB750. I think that there were some cost savings and mileage issues as well.

Bill

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

There is obviously no way you could increase the bore and stroke of the original GL1000 engine to 2000cc. It would have to be a completely different engine, which would not be a kit. It would be easy enough to make a 2000cc four cylinder engine, and I wish Honda had done it this way when they came out with the 1500 and 1800, keeping them fours. I see no reason for a six, other than it adds unnecessary complication. Triumph has a 2300cc triple. Maybe Honda just wanted the status of a six, but then again, both Honda and Kawasaki had both recently built six cylinder bikes, so there was nothing earth shattering about them.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Well as the prototype in 72 was a 6 cylinder. im sure that was there goal And they brought the 4 out a a stop gap till they could get the 6 ironed out.
And having both I do believe the 4 was a much better Bike. The only advantage I see in my 1500 over my 1000 is it is 11 yrs more modern in technology.
Wilf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.