Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

2000 se with 27000 miles. I have been reading on this site and GWRRA site about problems with alternators on late model 1500's.Currently mineis working fine but I was wanting some inputif I should change out for compufire or not. I know you cannot predict everything that may happen to a bike in the future but i don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere either.On the other hand I don't have money to waste. What would you do?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

tomusa wrote:
2000 se with 27000 miles. I have been reading on this site and GWRRA site about problems with alternators on late model 1500's.Currently mineis working fine .................What would you do?
Maintain the battery and ride it until I have an indication of a problem... at least that is what I am doing on my 2000SE, but then it only has about 17,000 miles

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

I pulled my alternator and did a PM on it right after I bought the bike.

Replaced brushes and rear bearing and rubber drive blocks, put it back together and called it good.

My bike had 57,000 on the clock when I got it.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I bought a 98 SE with 27000 miles on it, had the alternator checked out at a shop and put it back in. I added a voltmeter as well. Then I took off cross country. :action:

I had the alternator checked while I was changing the timing belts. (Hint)

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi tom the only thing that happens is the amount of extras we fit witch put a load on the alterantor that it was not desinged for if you invest a few bucks in a voltmeter it will forewarn you of any probs i changed to a compufire because i run to many extras, the old alt had 70km with on probs but i could see by the voltmeter it was under pressure when i switched on every thing i have this one from cyclemax and works a treat

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

...I know you cannot predict everything that may happen to a bike in the future but i don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere either....
With 27k, just enjoy your ride. There aremany other things you could also worry to death about.

Even ifyour were far away or not, a failed alternator, starter, fuel pump, relays, ECM, etc, etc, etc, etc, will leave you stranded, and mother Honda will not have the parts in stock.

If I were on a trip and my alternator failed, I would probably buy a Wal-Mart car battery and put it in the trunk. Ride for a few hours and pull into a truck stop to find someone to jump and recharge the battery until I limped home.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

tomusa. I have personally been with four 1500 goldwing riders in the past two yrs. that have had alternator failures on the road. Also, in August of this yr. I was on my second day of a trip from Ky. to Canada and mine failed. I always carried a spare and changed it on the side of the road. I would suggest the voltmeter already mentioned and to search the internet and find a used alt. and carry it for a spare. They will seldom give you a warning unless the problem is sticking brushes. If a wire in the rotor winding breaks, it is pretty much gone. The used alternators are cheap and very easy to change out on the road. The alternator is definitely the weak link on the 1500 and I would not be caught out of town without a spare.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for all the input!

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

I think Roadhog got it just right. Do the voltmeter thing if you are concerned. Unfortunately the common failure is the rotor winding. Good one second then bad the next with no warning. If your engine RPM picks up about 400 RPM at idle look at the alternator When it fails the engine runs faster as the load on the engine goes down when the alternator is not working hard.

·
Premium Member
63,096 Posts
imported post

TomUSA
I'll bet a flat tire if more likely than a failed alternator.. So ride it and don't worry about it..
Of course if you have every electric appliance in the book on you bike different story, Worry...........

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

Foodman. Unless you have a lot of flat tires, you would lose that bet.

·
Premium Member
63,096 Posts
imported post

47000 miles tires 1, alternator 0

·
Premium Member
63,096 Posts
imported post

I guess I should prepare myself for an alt failure.. Naaaa..
Live on the edge................

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

Foodman,
You know how it goes. Might not ever happen. It's just the newer 1500's that had trouble. Some are going back to the old reliable one. Mine is a 1999. Seems like 94 and back are better. Not real sure of the year though.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

An alternatoris on my spare parts list, and I already have a lot of other high dollars spares. They are just too expensive even on ebay.

I would probablythink a newer alternator is better than anoldjust because its newer.We may tend to acquire a used alternator just by accepting that it works. I have repaired many many car alternators and starters. Many stores' and shops' rebuilds just replace the few necessary parts, and many of us have benefited from cheaper rebuilds with acceptable reliability.We really would have no history of the other older part(s). If I had a 2000,I would want those parts or newer. But, you could end up with an 88 that would a 20 year old part.

Does anyone have or want to give away their good failedalternator? PM me, I will pay S/H.

·
Premium Member
63,096 Posts
imported post

I'll keep in touch...............
I've seen things that at the beginning of production were over built and the company to cut costs start lowering the quality until they start to fail.. So sometimes older is better.. Foosman, you're absolutely right, the newer should be better.. But who knows...........

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.