Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I want to change my headlight relay and I'd like to know the car relay alternative to a eom one.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

PL-RY1 or NV-RY1 but they will be found in the driving lights section of the auto parts stores. You just have to remove the mounting tab or the relay cover won't fit back on. BTW are you sure it is the relay? Sometimes the start switch won't pop all the way back out causing the headlight to not come on and sometimes corrosion in the Hi-Lo switch will cause the headlight to not come on as well.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you for the info Mike. I had a problem since spring with the start switch as you said. It was doing exactly as you said, and had to push it about half way to start the bike. I just had it replaced a couple of weeks ago. This happened once before getting it replaced and now its not working at all. The hi beams work. I did replace the other switch, signal high/low beam switch about 3 years ago.

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

Easy test, swap the High beam relay and the low beam relay. They are the same. Then try and see if the problem follows the relay. It is an easy way to verify the relay is bad.

My High Beam relay went bad a couple of months ago so they don't last forever. I put the one for the air pump in the High beam socket until I got a chance to buy a new one. Those relays are all the same in there except I think a couple of them are 20 amp the rest are 30's.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

DougW wrote:
Easy test, swap the High beam relay and the low beam relay. They are the same. Then try and see if the problem follows the relay. It is an easy way to verify the relay is bad.
Hi Doug, this is a very intermittent problem. I did just swap my low beam relay to the high beam relay and will keep an eye on it.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
imported post

I just purchased 2 of those PL-RY1 relays from Auto Zone... They had to order them but I had them the next day... Around 7 or 8 bucks each IIRC... I carry them as spares in the trunk of my 93 Aspy...

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It's crazy, I've been to about three different automotive part supplies, and those codes mean nothing to them. When I cross the border be sure I'll be purchasing some myself.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Relays?
Get'm while there HOT ! ! !
HERE

I stocked up on 2 spares.

These aresame shape and size as our Wings relays.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi everyone that came to my aid. I swapped the low beam and high beam relays and so far they are both working.:)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Just a quick update, so far so good. Still working perfect by swapping the two relays.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Badrider wrote:
Hi everyone that came to my aid. I swapped the low beam and high beam relays and so far they are both working.:)
SOOooo. . . . the relay wasn't bad just a bad connection. :dance:
Ain't it great so many come to one's rescue, . . .
at no charge.:thumbsup:

Light on, dude! :yelling:

:action:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.