Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Honda Brake Recall Affects 11 Gold Wing (GL1800) Model Years (2001-2010 and 2012)

We just received the following recall notice from Honda concerning a possible problem in the Gold Wing Combined Braking System that you should read carefully if you own a Gold Wing/GL1800 from one of the model years described (2001-2010 and 2012). Here is the recall notice from Honda:

Torrance, CA: American Honda Motor Co., Inc. has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that a potential defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the secondary master cylinder on certain 2001-2010 and 2012 model year GL1800 motorcycles.

Situation:

The compensating port hole inside the secondary master cylinder (part of the combined-braking system) can become blocked due to (1) stacking of tolerances in manufacturing and (2) sufficient swelling of the primary pressure cup inside the master cylinder. If the compensating port hole becomes completely blocked, the rear wheel brake caliper can drag after the rider releases the brake input. If this occurs, the rear brake temperature and pressure progressively increase. Unexpected braking increases the risk of a crash and continued riding with the brake engaged can generate enough heat to cause the rear brake to catch fire.

Inspection and Repair:

Honda motorcycle dealers will inspect the secondary master cylinder of all affected motorcycles in dealership stock or sold to customers (consumers and commercial entities). If an inspection indicates that the compensator port hole can become blocked due to this problem, the dealer will replace the secondary master cylinder. Registered owners of affected motorcycles will be contacted by mail and asked to take their motorcycle to a Honda dealer. The dealer will inspect the motorcycle, and if necessary, replace the secondary master cylinder, free of charge.

var ACE_AR = {Site: '776897', Size: '300250'};

Additional Details:

Honda motorcycle dealers will immediately receive a transmittal of complete repair instructions. Replacement secondary master cylinders in the U.S. will initially be made available through American Honda’s dealer technical support hotline. Upon approval by NHTSA, American Honda will mail a letter to all registered owners, and also post a copy of the letter on the Honda Brand website: powersports.honda.com. Target dates for website posting are before the end of December 2011, and mail receipt by registered customers should occur before the end of January 2012.

Honda apologizes for any inconvenience this creates, but feels the safety of our customers is the highest priority. Honda encourages every customer to contact their dealer to schedule an appointment upon receiving the SAFETY RECALL letter.

//

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

Only expected to be a small portion that actually have problems. The manufacturing tolerances discussed as the reason for the recall indicate that the secondary master cylinder may have the possibility of being able to be installed a bit crooked to where it should be, thereby causing the piston to enter it on an angle, instead of straight. These problematic units will be replaced. All others will not. Takes more time for the dealership to do the paperwork than it takes to inspect.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Yes, the recall was huge. Not only for Gold Wing (GL1800) Model Years (2001-2010 and 2012), but also for a number of Honda Ridgeline pickups that left the factory with a misinforming placard. Well, Honda recently announced that there would be a recall also for ridgeline because of its tires. The wrong size of spare tire was set up in around 206 Honda Ridgeline trucks. Honda has publicized a small recall to be able to correct the problem. Article resource: Recall announced for Honda Ridgeline.

·
1,716 Posts
imported post

To Anim8or Earl.
The secondary master cylinder is located on the left front fork , - when you brake with the handbrake , the rotaition of the rotor "force" the caliper to move a little and push the piston in the secondary master , which then apply hydraulic pressure to one piston on the rear caliper . The result is = you also brake on the rear . If this secondary master is faulty , there is a possibility that the pressure on the rear isnt released when you stop braking .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had my 3 week old 2012 Wing burn to the ground. I was riding in the North GA mountains and abs light came on , so I pulled over and the back was smoking and flames were visible. lost the whole bike and some gear with my helmet. My wife and I are fine thank God. Has to be related to the recall some how.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Good to hear that you both are fine. Hope you had insurance paid up. How many miles on it?

Just had my 3 week old 2012 Wing burn to the ground. I was riding in the North GA mountains and abs light came on , so I pulled over and the back was smoking and flames were visible. lost the whole bike and some gear with my helmet. My wife and I are fine thank God. Has to be related to the recall some how.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Sorry for the late response. I had about 600 miles on it :-(
So what was the outcome, any conclusion that it was locked from the brakes? What did the insurance company say and the shop report say?
Did you get another wing????
It would be good of you to include this type of information, when you post on a topic like this, it's important that you give complete information and not leave it hanging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.