Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I own a 2001 GL1800 with 48000Km.Suddenly after a long ride I started having downshifting problems.Upshifting sequentially from 1st to overdrive is smooth and seamless.Downshifting from 5th to 4th is fine, 4th to 3rd difficult esp after extended highway speeds, 3rd to second also difficult after an extended ride.Downshifting to neutral or 1st impossible-need to stop bike back up a few feet,move forward , play with clutch then will go in. When I first start up on the bike if I get up to 3rd gear and downshift it seems fine but once I generate a little speed and get into 4th and 5th that's when the downshifting problem arises.When I'm unable to gear down the shift lever feels very loose i.e lots of play up or down.I've never forced the shifter or abused the bike. I've bled and drained the clutch fluid twice and replaced the engine oil with mobil 1 motorcycle synthetic withlittle effect.Any thought as to what the problem may be.I'm hoping not to have the engine removed to check the tranny,if possible.

Thanks.Fred

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Hi Fred and welcome to the forum. :waving:If the shift lever is lose when you get the problem then it sounds like a worn shifter mechanism. You've already ruled out cluch fluid or the clutch itself, if the clutch was faulty you wouldn't have loads of play in the shifter.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Sonds like a worn shifter all right. I doubt if the actual shifter drum in the gearbox is worn, more likey the shift mechanism at the front of the engine.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Fred D. :leprechaun: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Hi Fred. I've had this on a GL1500 and it was a worn shifter. The front engine cover had to come off to get at it. If your 1800 still has a warranty it might be better to let the dealer do this job.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
Sonds like a worn all right.
Hey GWNorman :crying:Now you tell us that we have bloody worms in the :18red:Thats me finished sitting on my neighbours :18red:untill this is sorted. :stumped:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

A worn selector drum inside the gearbox wouldn't usually result in a loose gear lever, so I'll go with the selector mechanism as well.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
A worn inside the gearbox wouldn't usually result in a loose gear lever, so I'll go with the selector mechanism as well.
Hey Jason :leprechaun: Can i take it from your post that their are no worms in the :18red:

:doh::18red::doh:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I decided to remove the gearshift cover to inspect the suspect shifting mechanism.Initial examination did'nt reveal much but closer scrutiny indicated a small reset spring had broken. Does'nt even show up in the manual clearly.Much more detail about the larger gearshift spindle return spring. This small spring I believe is responsible for engaging the spindle plates forward into the dowel pins which rotate the shift drum cam.On upshifting the plates ratchet downwards (about 45 degrees below horizontal), turning the cam clockwise. Even with the return spring broken, vibrations and gravity 9.6 Newton.meters/s (I think?) would slide the plates forward to engage.Hence not having any or few issues upshifting.Downshifting however angles the plates above horizontal and with each sequential downshift would kick the plate further from the cam to the point where the plates no longer engage.I replaced the broken spring with one fashioned from orthodontic wire ,(1 week wait otherwise), and voila smooth and seamless shifting.

Thanks to everyone for the help,

Fred

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

And Thank you Fred for reporting back with the solution ,,So many people ask for advice here ,but then forget to come back and tell us the outcome ,,well done Fred ..cheers Ciaran

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Well done Fred D. :clapper: Thank you for telling us the outcome. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Nice one Fred, that's another one we will have to bear in mind. Thanks for the update. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hallo.

I am having the same problem like Fred. Mine is a GL 1800 2001 with 45.000 km on it.

Are there any here on this board that have pictures where the little spring is ?.

Thanks

Per Schmalfeldt
GWCDK 351

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.