Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

Tried this on official site GWOCGB and with one or two professional wing mechanics but no solution so far, so hope someone can help. My bike has done about 10k miles. I have had it since it was 8months old and 1.5k miles. Occasionally, but not in predictable circumstances, the rev counter and speedo stick at random speeds for several minutes/miles before reverting to normal operation. The only preconditionis that the bike must have been travelling at the indicated speed/revs at some stage in that journey. For example, after travelling at, say, 70mph then slowing or accellerating the indicated speed and revs is still 70. This can occur at any speed. Weather conditions seem irrelevant: it occurs in colder weather in the UK as well as much hotter summer weather in Spain. When this conditionoccurs, everything else works fine. Hope someone has the solution.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Redwing, Thanks a million. You have to be right about this being the best Goldwing forum. Even Honda UK denied any knowledge when I mentioned it to them last year. But here we are within minutes of my posting you come up with the solution and info. Brilliant. Thanks again, colbee.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi again redwing, sorry to be a pain but can you (or anyone else) advise on the following in respect of my sticking rev/speedo: the service bulletin (intended for info of dealers presumably)certainly applies to my bike and states: 'Normal warranty applies. After completion of the repair, submit one claim per VIN ------'. This morning (5/7/05) I spoke to Honda UK when I was told that the issue is a product update and therefore not a warranty matter. I should therefore contact the dealer from whom I bought the bike to arrange a non-warranty update. I was also told that the service bulletin was not issued in Europe.I bought the bike, aEuro model,when it was 8months old from a non-franchised UK dealer who was selling it on behalf of the owner, although I believe the dealer arranged the original import. The UK dealer is no longer in business. Honda UK provided me with details of the original franchised dealer in Germany but I have not contacted them. Any advise would be appreciated. I should add that the service bulletin is dated December 2001

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Hi colbeeand welcome to the forum. All the Honda service bulletinsare released form the USA, thats the way Honda work. Apparently Honda distributors in Europe may take it upon themselves to release their own bulletins (or to ignore the problem) for their own country or region, but the USA bulletins are the gospel on these matters. I'd say as your dealer is gone bust you should go to another dealer and ask them to get the work sanctioned by Honda. Not sure how it works in the UK but over here you can go to any Honda dealer (not just the oneyou bought the bike from) and get them to fix the bike and claom thelabour fee from Honda.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hello colbeeand welcome. This is the place to visit for quality tech info. Ben is well clued up on this. You can go to any Honda dealer in Manchester and ask them to do the work. They will get the go-ahead from Honda. I know at least 10 or 15 guys in the GWOCGB club that have had their speedos replaced out of warranty, and some of them got the work done by dealers nearer to home than were they bought their 1800s from in the first place.

BTW, none of the service bulletins emanate from Honda Europe. They all come from the USA and when enough owners kick up a fuss over here then Honda Belgium (for Europe) hurriedly do a damage limitation bulletin. The frame recall and overheating problems demonstrated this attitude perfectly. The guys over in Ireland (where there are probably only a fraction of the number of GL1800s that we have in the UK) were able to twist the arm of Honda about getting the frames fixed looong before we could get any information here. Maybe Gerry Adams made one of those miracle phone calls to Honda, I hear he can work wonders. ;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey colbee, any way you can work your way up the chain at Honda. Do they have anything like a zone manager in the UK?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ben, Thanks for your help. I'll try my local dealer and hope for a favourable response. I'll post the result -it may be useful to others with the same problem.

Cheers! Colbee

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

It's a bit difficult to climb the supervisory ladder since you never really know who you are speaking to and customer service issues may not be as important in the UK as they probably are in the US. Still, I'll try Ben's suggestion and hope for the best. Thanks Ted and Exavid.

Colbee

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Hi Colbee and welcome. The number for Honda Aftersales is 01753590510 try and speak to them and see f they will help. However I dont hold out much hope m8 - my bike is a USA import was less then a year old with only 901 miles on the clock, I contacted Honda via my local dealer orginally over the latest frame recall. The first quote my local dealer gave me was take it back the US and get it fixed there - needless to say i was and am still not impressed. With the help of MCN and a few others Honda have finally agreed that ALL 1800's will be recalled and inspected/welded etc.

After all this settled down i rang Honda Aftersales to talk to them over the service bulletin releases and similar stuff. If the bulletin is issued in the UK then it will get fixed - if it was issued in the US and not here you will not get it done. Any warrenty work is and was the responsibility of the garage that i purchased the bike from. Honda WILL NOT budge from this line regardless of the fact that the bike is made on the same production line etc. If the bike was not sold through an offical Honda dealer you have no chance of getting any warrenty work done by Honda. The stock answer given is Honda UK is a different company from Honda USA.

I am still waiting to get a letter for the frame weld as my bike is slap bang in the middle of the range of vin numbers - although i have been assured by Honda Aftersales it will be done - when is anyones guess i suppose. The long and the short of it all is that if the bike didnt come from a UK dealer you have no chance of Honda honouring any warrenty work unless it is a Safety Product recall such as the frame issues.

Sorry to be doom and gloom but Honda's attitude has made me spit nails.

Rgds

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

colbee wrote:
Redwing, Thanks a million. You have to be right about this being the best Goldwing forum. Even Honda UK denied any knowledge when I mentioned it to them last year. But here we are within minutes of my posting you come up with the solution and info. Brilliant. Thanks again, colbee.
Hey colbee :waving: It's important when talking with the dealer that you have a copy of the Service Bulletin with you. :clapper: It's nothing out of the Dealers pocket as Honda UK will reimburse him. :weightlifter: A number of owners world wide have had this part replaced out of warrenty and free of charge. :cooler:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hi Phil, Sorry to hear about your problem but in defence of Honda UK I have to say that I have contacted them twice this year, without having had priorcommunication from them. In March they agreed to change the ECM (Engine Control Module?) via a local dealer (which I hadn't bought the bike from and didn't know me from Adam)after I discovered on the GWOCGB website that some bikes (but not mine ) were having problems.The dealer lent me bike for the day, although it wasn't a Wing nor was it taxed.

Then in May I read in Wingspan (GWOCGB Mag) that the frame recall issue was being extended to 2001 models, giving a series of VIN numbers for UK only, so did not include mine. I phoned Honda UK and was told they had not started on Euro or grey import models but would check. They got back to me, agreed that my bike was one of those affected and arranged to pick it up. They had it a week, delivered it back freshly cleaned and said my frame was OK and they had also checked the PCV valve (Don't ask -I don't know. Brakes I think). So they are not so bad in my experience but I will keep my fingers crossed over my latest problem.

Colbee

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey colbee :clapper: What your saying is correct. :clapper: Honda is not all bad, just speak to them right and you will get anything done. :weightlifter:Good luck with the speedo. :byebye:

:skipping::18red::skipping:

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi all,

Just an update on my sticking needles problem (or no update, depending on how you look at it). I downloaded the service bulletin as shown to me by Redwing and took it to my local Honda dealer last Thursday (7th). He had never encountered the problem but said he would contact Honda. As of today (Friday 15th) there has been no response from Honda. Exciting, what? I will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I had this problem with my 2001. If I remember right all they do is remove the faceplate and install a spacer between the needle movement and plastic faceplate. Seems that heat/direct sunlight causes more expansion than Honda anticipated. Glad I went back to an old obsolete 1200!:p

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Don't know what theyear- round climate is like in Indianapolis but here in the UK it doesn't often get so hot that I'd expect it to affect devices such as this. Having said that, we have been enjoying (or not) temperatures in the upper 80s this last couple of weeks or so.

I get the sticking problem summer and winter, and when your roads are inundated with speed-cameras, as they are here, it can be disconcerting when your speedo is stuck and you have to guess your speed. It does help when there is other traffic about 'cos then you can follow suit.

Incidentally, the Service Bulletin, which refers only to the speedo and not the tacho, instructs the installation of a replacement speedo.:?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hi all,

:XVery belatedly my 'friendly' (couldn't care less) local main agent saysHonda UK are not interested in little ole me and my multi-thousand£ flagship bike of the Honda empire.Reasons (in no particular order):

a) bike too old (2001)

b) bike is grey import (Germany to UK)

c) Service Bulletin too old (Dec 2001) and issued only in USA so does not apply to Europe/UK, and in any case Honda UK are unaware of the problem (therefore it doesn't exist?);

therefore I can go stuff myself up my own exhaust pipe. Pah! it makes me want to spit. It seems Phil was right after all.

Soooooo, has anyone got any idea how the problem (the mechanical problem, that is, Honda UK is a lost cause) might be resolved from a practical angle. :baffled::stumped:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Hi colbee - the issue of whether the bike is a grey import is imaterial if you have had the frame check done. I had an issue with Honda UK about getting SB's done and I was always told as the bike is a grey import it cannot be registered on Honda UK's computer system. Now comes the fun part if your bike has had the frame (SB 18) check done or is soon to be done then your bike has to be registered on the Honda UK computer database. Providing your bike is on the DVLA database (and it should be if you have taxed it etc) then Honda UK have got to recall your bike so that solves the computer database problem.

Now if I was you (been there done this so dont get too disheartened if you get fobbed off initally), ring Hoda UK customer services and ask to speak to Michelle - she is one of the heads of the customer service centre or the man that pulls most of the strings is called David Hancock. He is the man I spoke to and he told me in no uncertain terms now the "grey import" is registered on the database there was no problems with ANY of the SB's being done on the bike - in fact (maybe cause I bitched enough) they did the side pannier latch SB as well as the frame replacement. You need to check and see if the vin number for the speedo falls within the number range if it does then they (Honda UK) have to do the work. Dont go through your dealer as so of the things i was told by them was crap - go direct to Honda UK and when they say that yes the work can be done ask them to liased directly with your local dealer.

Dont give up m8 if you do then Honda have won!

Rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Phil,

Thanks, I'll try them tomorrow. The SB states: 'affected units - All model year 2001 GL1800/As', although, as I said, the SB was not issued(or so they say) outside US.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.