Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The last few times I started my bike, it took a little bit longer to fire.
Now I have no spark and F1 code 19.
0 volts to coils .
Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

Code 19 is a pulse generator issue. Component is located behind the timing cover. Could also be the wire or plug to the pulse generator that is the issue. Under the seat is a plug you put a jumper wire in to clear the codes-not sure exactly where, but someone on here probably knows.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks.
I will check wires and r/r the pulse gen. If needed,
By chance do you know how to tell with Ohm meter a good one from bad.
PS. I do know location of reset plug.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

basilmulkey wrote:
Thanks.
I will check wires and r/r the pulse gen. If needed,
By chance do you know how to tell with Ohm meter a good one from bad.
PS. I do know location of reset plug.
I had a pulse generator go bad on my 02 a couple yrs. ago. If the gen. is good, it will show continuity. I can not remember the resistance value but I might have it logged in my maintenance manual. I did extensive testing on my old one before removing. It consistently show no resistance and it would not start. After a couple days of playing with it, it suddenly did show continuity and it started right up. When I received my new one I did test it and, as I stated earlier, I will see if I can find the readings.
One last thing. These things have a bad habit of suddenly working. If it fails once it will fail again. If you have an issue with it, to avoid being stranded my advice would be to change it now. You will not need to remove everything listed in the manual to change it. It can be done from the front by removing the black cowl above the lower cowl and accessing the connector there.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

My bike did exactly that.
About a year ago (around 90,000 miles).
I had this same problem, all the signs pointed to the generator but when I tried it one more time it started.
I figured it was just a loose connection on one of the connectors.
I show no resistance with meter set to 2meg
At 2k I read .07
The new Gen is $50:00.
We had a ride today for a fallen Soldier, I got to follow the other bikes in my Toyota.
Guess what I'm buying tomorrow.
Thanks, I'll update on the new part.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

The correct reading is probably gotten in the 200 ohm range of your multimeter. The service manual doesn't specify a resistance measurement. It specifies a voltage output of .7 volts minimum while cranking. Now how do you measure that? You have to have the have the Honda Test module that has all of the factory test points listed and broken out. I can only imagine what one of those costs. If the connectors are clean and it won't start then your pulse gen is probably bad.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

It worked.
I picked up the new pulse generator today.
installed it. (remember to get a new gasket)

Bike fired right up.
Thanks for the help Guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.