Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Being a newbe to the 1800 and planningto buy one I found this one close to were I live … it has higher mileage than what I would have liked 137,500 miles was wondering if this mileage is an issue ..it’s an American bike brought legally to Canada last year

Price $10,500.00

137,500 miles. Maintenance is current

Recent oil change

New front brake shoes

Has Bushtec trailer hitch

Lighted spoiler with brake lights

Dual built-in Gerbing heat controller for electric clothing

Recent front fork and rear shock serviced

Chrome front fender mud guard

Power hook-up for GPS, etc.

Lighted front wheel reflectors

Front and rear speakers

Backrest

Hook-up for MP3

Good tires (front and rear)

And lots of other safety chrome.

This bike is ready to roll and does not need any service.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The engine mileage is nothing to worry about, but the price is. $10,500 is too much for a high miles 2001 even though they are reliable.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Hondadiver wrote:
~it has higher mileage than what I would have liked 137,500 miles was wondering if this mileage is an issue~
Honda bikes are very much like an automobile. Not too long ago, I read some US Govtstatistics about vehicle life. Our Government defines it as a "half-life", and it is the statistical point in time where half of a vehicle's make, model, & year are no longer in service.

Thistranslates(loosely) to~ 152,000 miles for autos, and something in the neighborhood of 180 to 190 thousandmiles for typical pick-up trucks.

One must realize that many vehicles which have been "out-of service", are resurrected later by certain enthusiasts with lots of cash and/or a deep fondness for that particular vehicle.

This leaves us with not much else but anecdotal stories of our vehicles or vehicles we know about that have far exceeded those statistical miles. The reality then, is that these "legendary" vehicles simply must have been very well taken care of.

It is up to you to learn as much as you canabout that bike's PO maintenance history, as well as current condition, and decide for yourself if you want to risk your cash for it. Statistically speaking, the bike is close to its "half-life"...and the first "half" is always the best part, as everything about the vehicle started out brand new. Not true about any vehicle's 2nd half... :readit: :waving:

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

When I went looking early last year, a local dealer had a 2001 with 38000 miles for 10999, so yes I agree that the price is too high. Search Craigs list even out of your area. (I use Searchtempest to easily search it without using a specific city) It will give you a good base for where you should be at for pricing on the bike

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Hondadiver - to get a real sense of what GL1500s are going for, check out Kijiji ( kijiji.ca ). You can do a province by province search under motorcycles for "Goldwing" and see many GL1500s for sale. I'm a little reluctant to share what I paid for my bike in case I wish to sell it & upgrade to an 1800 in the future, but lets just say I found a good deal... and if you keep checking Kijiji maybe you will too. I looked for 9 months before jumping. Often, especially in the fall/winter months you can get a much better deal (you see prices jump in spring of course). Suggest you can get a nice used GL1500 for $6500 to $7500 if you shop around - I've seen some '88 to '91 models for around $5K.

Edit - I should add, some real good deals to be had buying in the States, but you have to import into Canada. One member here, Wpgfire, has done it numerous times. Not for me (the import thing), but it's an option.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yea the 1500s are going for real good prices but the 1800s are high priced a new 2010 I've seen for 2250 at dealer in Canada ...28000 and up for 2012 the 2001 when new was about 16000 I figure.. new back in the day ...thanks for all the replies ...gives me a better sence of were to spend the cash
Great search.. Searchtempest

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Just a personal opinion, but a low mileage 1500 is a way better deal than a high mileage 1800, and so much better looking too.

·
Administrator
26,179 Posts
imported post

137,500 is not high mileage for the age and at least it has been ridden and not left to sit, which is IMHO worse than putting miles on them. I have 107.000 on my 08 and feel like I don't get to ride enough. The price varies by where you live so I have no idea what prices are like in Canada.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
imported post

The mileage is not a factor for me, condition though is.

All of my bikes have been purchased with 60k or more on their clocks. And all of them have purred like a new one with a little attention to taking care of the details.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

good point ...yea sure got a pretty machine there

Kimswang wrote:
Just a personal opinion, but a low mileage 1500 is a way better deal than a high mileage 1800, and so much better looking too.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Hondadiver, when i purchased our 1500 a yr ago, we found several 1800's with similiar mileage down here in the states for 8k-10k price range....Like some of the others think you would just as happy with a lower mileage 1500 for a lot less money....Good luck with your purchase...

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I thought I wanted an 1800 till I heard the whine of the chain. I haven't ridden one yet but that whining sound would be hard to get used to after the quiet smooth sound of a 1500.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I bought our 02 last year with 151K on it. It now has 167K and also a couple trips done the 1/4 mile track, just for giggles. The Victory group I do my 400-500 mile day trips with decided to go "play". It was fun. I beat the Victory Cross Country twice, and got beat by my B-I-L's Vision. Its hopped up fairly well (cams, intake, programmer, etc.) The old girl performs well.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I bought the Bike have not had a chance to ride it yet because I live some distance away....pickingit up sometime this week ...soon as I tell my wife :ssshh:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Let the:whip: :lash:begin. :ROFL:

Congratulations on your new purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Congratulations on your purchase, the 1800 is a great bike. Now, what in the world is "safety chrome"? How do you put new front brake shoes on a bike that uses Pads? and as there is no maintenance schedule for the front fork nor rear shock..what did he do (or claim to do)? Guess what I'm saying is..this is obviously being sold by (my guess is) a used car lot , and the guy has no idea what he's got in his hand. That being said, don't trust his word on the maintenance, buy yourself a service manual and give it a good going over. Enjoy your ride...spring will be here none too soon.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Well in my book's saftey crome is the yellow color they paint school bus's
Wilf

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I have been looking all across Canada on both Craigs list and Kijiji for a 1500 to add to the stable. In doing so I have noticed the prices being asked both in private sales and from dealers. $10,500 for a 2001 with 137,000 is a reasonable deal here in Canada. We have guys asking that much for later year 1500's. Out west the prices are highest, Quebec is lowest.Go figure. I like the American pricing much better.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

MichiganWing wrote:
Congratulations on your purchase, the 1800 is a great bike. Now, what in the world is "safety chrome"? How do you put new front brake shoes on a bike that uses Pads? and as there is no maintenance schedule for the front fork nor rear shock..what did he do (or claim to do)? Guess what I'm saying is..this is obviously being sold by (my guess is) a used car lot , and the guy has no idea what he's got in his hand. That being said, don't trust his word on the maintenance, buy yourself a service manual and give it a good going over. Enjoy your ride...spring will be here none too soon.
Firstly the Bike was purchased not from any dealer or used car lot but rather from someone who had 2 Goldwings... a 2001 anda recentlypurchasedloaded 2006 he rides in a Goldwing motorcycle drill team and I must say there seems to come with the Goldwing persona a level of honesty that you don’t see everywhere these days, course one also needs to do there homework and I did … it does come with a shop manual and also a service manual were all the maintenance records were recorded… dates mileage and what was done… he personally did not do any servicing but rather a friend of his who I know and found me the bike is a Goldwing mechanic and did the servicing … my guess is the owner did the blurb on the bling bling safety chrome and the brake shoes that are really padsfor Craigslistwere it was listed…I got the Bike for $10.000.. a good price for Canada ...so there yea go …eh

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Excellent choice then Sir. Please understand my questions were not to impugn your ability, integrity or wisdom. The sales blurb simply caught my eye, then my funny bone/ curious nature and I had to ask. Hope she's everything you could want and that you go safely for many many miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.