Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After cruising at 60 for about 20 minutes, I accelerated to pass a truck and something went chu-chunk and then too off. Wife was on board. Has only happened 3 times under those circumstances. The Honda dealer thinks it's a bent fork shifter and worn gears. Bike has only 47K on it. As the 2nd owner, I put about 3K only on it. Just missed the extended warranty by 14 days. Dealer quoted about $3000.00 for the job. Honda agreed to pay for parts only. Anyone else have this problem? I can avoid that if need be. $1700.00 would be on me. Bummer :?

I love riding this bike!!!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would not panic just yet. If it is doing it only occasionally, it could be operator problem and I do not mean that in a disrespectful way. If you are making good firm shifts and it does become a chronic situation, then yes the shift dogs are worn.

The transmission has sliding gears in it with bushings between them, and the sliders move and lock to the stationary gears and drive the bike. If the tolerances become too much and the shift dogs start slipping then they wear more each time they slip.

I disagree with the dealers that bent shift forks cause the problem, but I disagree with them about lots of things, I think the shift fork gets bent when the shift dog slips out with tremendous force and powers out, bending the fork. Lots of stories about heel toe shifters causing this too, I also disagree with that.

If it becomes chronic, you will have to fix it, and I would sure take advantage of Honda offer for parts, it is a big job, so that is quite reasonable, even if it does give you heart failure.

I have had mine jump out of fifth gear, running about the speed you say, if you slack off first, decelerate, then power up, sometimes it will pop out. Have had it happen once or twice, had it happen in 4th gear once on a exit ramp and totally depower the bike in a power sweeper, so I have just learned to drive the bike, put it in third and keep the rpms up. It will not slip that way.

Kit

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

I am not a mechanical engineer so I wont go into cause and effect . It is an expensive repair ,requires complete engine take down . I would think seriously about taking Mother Honda on her offer . Sorry to hear your having problems . As good as these bikes are stuff happens . :(

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

I'm with Kit. As a new owner you tend to not quite get it into gear and these transmissions clunk when changing anyhow. Have you checked the engine oil, is it clean, does it need changing as this has an effect on the gear changing.
Ride it till it does it all the time (gives you chance to save up) and then fix it.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

Check the driveshaft UJ for wear first. Many of these have failed because the rubber boot ripped and let the dirt in, resulting in a clunk at times.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

The UJ rubber boot when it tears makes a loud flapping sound at times and you should look at that.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I wish it was just the U Joint. No there was a definite lag when this noise happened. Honda backed out of their offer so I'll probably just drive it and avoid the strain in OD. Not a major problem. Easy enough to down shift for power. Thanks to everyone for their input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.