Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedometer has started to stick on hot sunny days. At about 45mph it will just hang sometimes. It pops itself loose for now but expect that won't last forever. Anyway, my question - If I take it in to the dealer will they still fix items that had the Service Bulleting published in 2001?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Since this is a safety issue I would guess yes. But that is up to the dealer you take it to. If you don't like their answer take it to another. I know that the fix is to replace the instrument cluster and the part alone is about $600.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
My speedometer has started to stick on hot sunny days. At about 45mph it will just hang sometimes. It pops itself loose for now but expect that won't last forever. Anyway, my question - If I take it in to the dealer will they still fix items that had the Service Bulleting published in 2001?
As a general rule, service bulletins are NOT recalls, or campaigns. They are technical bulletins to help the dealer/tech repair conditions that occur on a regular basis. They are only covered under warranty, if you're still within warranty.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
My '01 did that too. It's just the sun heating up the needle and plastic cover which causes the needle to get stuck against the plastic. If you can take the lid off the instrument you can bend the needle down very slightly to cure the problem. One way you can reduce the problem is cover the speedo with something like gloves or whatever when the bike's parked in the sun. You may still get a stick on a hot day with the sun at the right angle behind you so the best cure is to bend the needle.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If you check the bulletin, it says normal warranty applies. So, in a word, no, it's no longer covered. The dealer's not going to fix it for free. Looks like @two-three hour job to repair as exavid describes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.