Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Came across this. Price is good, if this is truly the case.

http://tiny.pl/st19

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

I don't know Mike, with some of the trouble with the aluminum frames, and it had a trailer hitch and got hit. I would be leary about the welding he had done. Have someone that knows aluminum and knows the Goldwing frame. See if any of that stressed it out.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Mikef there where no Honda frame issues with 2001 models. If you really fancy this then you have to go look and test drive it.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

RECALLS SUMMARY
Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
HONDA / GL1800 2001-2004
HONDA / GL1800A 2001-2004
Recall Number: 05V027000
Summary:
ON SOME MOTORCYCLES, CERTAIN FRAME WELDS DO NOT MEET MANUFACTURING SPECIFICATIONS. HIGH LOADS CREATED WHEN RIDING ON ROUGH ROAD SURFACES OR THROUGH POTHOLES CAN CAUSE THE AFFECTED WELDS TO CRACK.
Consequence:
THE WELDED AREA COULD BREAK, RESULTING IN REAR SUSPENSION COLLAPSE OR LOWER CROSS MEMBER SEPARATION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, REINFORCE THE WELDS ON 2001-2002 MOTORCYCLES FREE OF CHARGE. ON 2003-2004 MOTORCYCLES, THE UNITS WILL BE REPAIRED, NO INSPECTION WILL BE NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 9, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-866-784-1870.
Notes:
HONDA RECALL NO. P66. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Hey mikef, you would look good riding that yeller wing to the DQ! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yellow. Yeah. I'm fine with the DQ. My biggest issues are the headaches of registering a salvage title in Wisconsin, then trying to insure it, within reason.

Then I'm sure I would have problems selling my 1500....:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

It looks like the for sale sign he has in one of the pictures shows $9599 or something like that. Hit bike with salvage title. Better be extra careful.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

He's got $6,700.00 bid (not met reserve) at the moment. 2 days and a few hours left on the auction.

Says he lowered reserve.

Go Mike Go!!!! :santawaving: give yourself a Christmas Present..

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

For not much more than that you will buy a non damaged one ,I have seen the 2001 wings go for around 10 to 11000 dollars on cycletrader and ebay ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

$7000 and still not met reserve. 13 hours to go.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Mike F..

I don't know much about welds and salvage titles, but I do know that is one beautiful bike...and at that price....it would be very hard to resist...At the price they charge for wind deflectors, it might be a good parts bike....just kidding...I couldn't resist...

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

Wrong! As noted above...2001 was the first year of the new style and the first year of the frame problems.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

First year of the new style. That bothers me. I have never had any luck buying the "first" of any new model, style...........whatever.

However, if the price keeps dropping.......................

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Mike, I did have an 88 1500 and loved it. Except for the usual problems, it was a fine bike. I never had need of a warranty repair, it waited a few years before it stuck me with alternator brushes, fuel pump etc... nothing that major however. I wouldn't be afraid of a 2001 NOW. Any known issues are 'known' by now.

I'll bet he'd come down to 8 if he got an offer...

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

SB in SC - cool chrome dome! I don't see those anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.