Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought the bike new and every since it seems to slap in to the gears, hard,like the clutch is not adjusted right. But if I pull in the clutch there is no drag. I have owened alot of bikes and this one is the hardest slap ever. Is there a clutch adjustment on the engine? Or is this just the nature of the beast?

Thanks Al

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Hi Al,

I assume that your bike is an 1800! :)If so then don't worry about it, is all I can say.

I ride an 02 model and changing gear smoothly can be tricky at times. Changing up I find the best method is to keep a slight pressure upwards on the gear lever, as you clutch in and out quickly, the gear change is seamless. However if you mistime the clutch pull, or pull a handful of throttle after the upchange, you will defenitely get a "bang" instead of a click as it engages the new gear.

Changing down is best done as in the owners manual, that is, carefully and below 30mph!!! I have become used toa stuck gear leverandfalse neutrals if attempting to downshift at any speed above 40mph(without blipping the throttle). The bike just does not like doing it. Below 30mph you can snick down smoothly and quietly. Read the owners manual, I didn't bother myself for 2 months, and it describes the "Honda way" of gearchanging on a GoldWing, it does work.

(P.S. It won't help if your other bike is an R1:?!!!!!)

Best of luck,

Steve18

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

All 1800s have rather clunky gearchanges (so do the 1500s I'm told), but if yours is jumping or lurching forward a bit as well then maybe its worth getting the clutch bled.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Its dissapointing, hell just plain annoying how expensive flagship bikes like the Goldwing still have clunky gears. I mean lots of cheaper bikes have perfect changes! :X

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

As far back as the 1100s I have owned, the shifting was terrible. The 1100s and my current baby 1200 have a bad history of finding, or false neutrals to.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

On dissimilar note. Has anyone ever experienced difficulties downshifting while braking. My86 Interstate, and thinking back, 84 Aspencade didn't want to downshift with the clutch lever all the way to the bar, while braking hard, with a definate weight shift toward the front of the bike. It's really a pain while descending steep hills...:?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.