Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2003 GL1800. As I researched that model I found a reference to an ECM upgrade that wasn't an official recall but was done by Honda for a limited period free of charge.

Apparently the issue was mostly due to extended lo speed operation just fast enough to turn the fans off.

I wondered if anyone had done a cheap fix by simply adding a manual switch so the rider could turn the fans on if the bike started getting hot. I know the Honda fix was considerably more elaborate but it seems like the simple switch could at least help.

comments anyone?

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Actually the problem is not that the fans turn off but that they turn on and blow air into the front tunnel fighting the air that is coming in at speeds under 25 mph.

I have an 04 and I have had mine heat up to almost boiling over 4 times since I had it. Each time I was in 90+ degree temperatures, heavy traffic going slow 10-15mph.

I also had it heat up while riding the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier National Park. Following traffic at around 15 mph in 70 deg weather 2 up towing a trailer. That was just enough load to cause the bike to heat up when it could not dump the heat through the radiators. I ended up stopping a lot...gave me lots of chances to take pictures so it was not such a bad thing. :)

This winter I plan on reversing the motors and putting different fans in so the heat is blown out through the radiators to assist the incoming air.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Reading your post Hanko confirms that the 04-05 models also can overheat. A work friend of mine has an 05 and pulls a trailer, and the Wing overheats. Overheats in heavy city traffic too. I know that not every 01-05 overheats. But I am starting to believe that only the 2006 and later models are guaranteed to be free of the problem.

·
Administrator
28,096 Posts
Same thing on my 08, between 15 & 20 mph it would heat up. I think it would work better to switch the fans off so they won't be fighting the air flow at that speed.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I seem to recall hearing that folks were re-wiring the fans, so that they blow Towards the Rear of the bike (as is conventional on every other vehical in the world) rather than to the front.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
The fans can be made to run backwards but due to the shape of the blades they are not as efficient pushing the air as they are pulling. Because of this most owners are purchasing a different set of blades meant for pushing so they work just as well as before.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I have a 2003 GL1800 and have just recently had my official Honda recall work done by the main Honda dealer which included the fitting of a brand new ECM as a fix for the overheating issue.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
When I bought my 04 I asked the dealer if the 04's had the overheating issue. "No they fixed that with a firmware change to the ECM" :readit:

Of course you can see from my post above this was absolute bull feces.:lash:

I still love my bike and ride it as much as I can but I hate being lied to. The dealer was just passing on what mother Honda told them to.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
My 2001 has 2 small fans about the size of a computer fan mounted to the outside of the radiator they are turned on by a toggle switch mounted in one of the compartments although the bike has never overheated on me the previous owner said they work great ..let me know if you want some pictures
there are not readily visible

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
hello ""Hondadiver"",

If you can post pictures that would be helpful because I too have an overheating issue when driving at the speed which created the cooling problem.But perhaps someone can comment on this question. Wouldn't having extra fans blowing from the outside of radiators inward also neutralize the air flow? The stock fans push air forward and it neutralizes flow at the critical speed range, so how can extra fans help?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.