Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello to every one. I have a very serious(to me) problem. My goldwing which I have only owned for a week now has left me sad. I was finally able to buy my dream bike (although it used) last week. I road the bike home from tulsa ok. To arkcity ks. And had a wonderful ride. Now the problem. After only one week of pleasant evening rides my wing failed to start for me. Now here is what I know for sure. Bike has only 35,000 miles. Fresh oil change. The trouble shooting that I have done is as follows. I have checked all fuses and all is good. I have checked and rechecked all relays and all are good. The fuel pump does its little run time at key on position. Battery is two months old and registers 12.7 volts with no load and registers a very good 11.6 volts under list of starter motor running. I pulled the spark plug covers to check for spark and there is none, Nada, ziltch. I checked this by using a new spark plug pluged into the plug wire and grounded the plug to the head while engaging the starter. I got not even a hint of spark.. any sugestions or where to go would be great. I am assuming that since I have no fire to the plugs, I have no fire reaching the ignition coils either. I have no idea where the fire comes from before it reaches the ignition coils. I'm thinking maybe the pulse generator. Actually I don't know where to begin, and am hoping someone smarter and more knowledgeable can maybe help me get back on my ride. Thank you for any help you can give me. Miloman.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

:waving:

Welcome to the forum.

Check the kill switch, it may not be in "run"..:action:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Kill switch on the 1800 won't let the engine turn over if it is off, so that won't be the problem. Did the bike run fine one day and then not start the next? Any little problems prior to the no start?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

I suggest pulling the shelter and starting at teh ECM, check it is plugged in properly.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

All switches are functioning properly, engine kill and side stand. No problems what so ever untill the no start situation. Ride and park one hour. Won't start the next. If any thing was unusual at all it was this. It seemed to turn over a little longer before it started the last two days before the no start situation.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I do have a clymer manual inn the way. I'm hoping it turns out to be useful. I have no idea really, on how all the body parts are removed. Don't want to tear anything up. This bike is (almost) spotless.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

Check the wiring on the tip over shut off, it is located in the front fairing, right hand side sitting on the bike, right near the headlight. It will allow turn over but no start.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

It is my understanding that the tip angle sensor cuts off the fuel supply if activated. I have a no fire to the plugs situation.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yes! Previous owner (says) he has never had that issue before. No reason to dought him, super guy to deal with.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome miloman[/align]

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Could try unconnecting the battery for about an hour and see if it will reset the ECM.

If this works, restart the engine and let it run without touching throttle or anything else until the cooling fans kick on.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

Miloman,

Put the bike in neutral, side stand down, and crank it for 10 seconds or so. If there is a sensor problem, you should get some flashing from the fault indicator light (the orange one with the FI on it). A long flash is a "10" and a short flash is a "1" . So, if you get 2 longsd and 4 shorts, that's a 24.
The codes are in the manual, or come back here if you get one.

If not, many times a no-start is linked to the battery.. I understand that you checked it. Check it again, and really eliminate it. Try jumping it, or a new/different battery. Also, make SURE your connections are tight. I had a loose ground, and it caused weird problems.

Check the FI/IGN fuse. (Just because a fuse LOOKs good, doesn't mean it IS good.. check with a meter.

Let us know.. ( I know you checked the battery.. check it again... )

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Dandy Dave. Thank you for the info on the cranking for a code. I will try that and see what happens. As for the battery I have checked and rechecked the conections and am using a fully charged jump back along with the charged battery. Don't know what else I can do there. Voltage is great. I did not however but an ohm meter to the fuse. I will check that out. Oxidation however change around all the relays to ensure they were good. Wish me luck on the fuse. That would be great. Although I would kick myself in the rear.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Dandy Dave. Thank you for the info on the cranking for a code. I will try that and see what happens. As for the battery I have checked and rechecked the conections and am using a fully charged jump back along with the charged battery. Don't know what else I can do there. Voltage is great. I did not however but an ohm meter to the fuse. I will check that out. Oxidation however change around all the relays to ensure they were good. Wish me luck on the fuse. That would be great. Although I would kick myself in the rear.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

The ignition circuit operation is the stop switch receives batt voltage from fuse #13 with the ignition switch on and engine stop switch in the middle. system voltage is supplied by the FI unit/LAF RLY relay or FI/ign. relay to the ECM. The ECM receives inputs from the cam , and crank sensors and side stand switch, then sends output to ignition coils.

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Dandy Dave! The fuse cheched out good with the ohm meter. The ecm did throw a code, 19.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.