Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

was showing new bike to friend, pushed reverse button, tried to turn it off, stays on.

Discovered bike is locked in gear and trying shifter has no effect. Cruise light also stays on. Can anyone help.? I am totally green owning a wing, i just bought it and haven't even got it out the door. Did down load service manual and am reading as fast as i can. Thanks Dino

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

dinos735 wrote:
was showing new bike to friend, pushed reverse button, tried to turn it off, stays on.

Discovered bike is locked in gear and trying shifter has no effect. Cruise light also stays on. Can anyone help.? I am totally green owning a wing, i just bought it and haven't even got it out the door. Did down load service manual and am reading as fast as i can.  Thanks Dino
The chances are that it is not locked in gear. With the reverse pulled in the bike is locked up with the reverse mech engaged.

The reverse button is push to switch on (R light comes on). Push button again R light goes off and button pops back out. The N light should have been on before you press the reverse button. I only ever run reverse with the engine running.

A couple of people have had this problem with it locking in and found that it may be a loose ground connection on the RH side near the rear brake reservoir.

If its in reverse,pressing the "starter" button will try to move the bike and may release the mechanism

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It is a Catch 22. Once you turn the bike off , it will not start again. Remove the front inner fairing and put a 22 mm wrench on the reverse mechanism. Pull fuse number 15 that controls the reverse actuator assembly. Like has been said current flow through the motor without the bike running can damage the motor. So do this while the ignition is off, then turn it on to check for the neutral light.

Turn the nut on the reverse system counter-clockwise until it is in the neutral position, at this time the neutral light on the bike should re light. You may have to have some one help you rock the bike back and forth if the stupid thing is stuck, but it will eventually let loose.

Then you can worry about taking the switch apart later.

Kit

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks for the info, tried your suggestion but discovered that rev light never goes out. tried removing fuse 8 an d10 light goes out but then does fast blink. still locked wheels. will try to remove side body and spin the nut back and see if that will help.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well try and try hard. Move the cable actuator many times, have someone else help you and rock the bike forward and back while moving the actuator cables.

The cables control the shift mechanism, and it is quite possible that the reverse idler gear has gotten stuck on the shift drum under the rear crankcase assembly. Or the lock arm is somewhat out of the groove and will not release.

Keep working at it, if the bike is stuck with the internal gears on the shift arm stuck to the main drive gear, it could be serious.

To remove the rear crankcase cover and get to this, does require removal of the engine. Getting to the clutch is bad enough, but for this the engine would have to come out.

So keep working at it, I got one unstuck in the Carolina Ribs and Wings parking lot last year, working the nut and rocking it back and forth. That one the owner always left the bike in reverse as a parking brake and it got stuck.

Quite the deal to go in after it.

In your manual look under reverse shift mechanism, it will show you how it manually turns the shift drum and moves the idler gear to reverse.

What year is the bike? Is it still under warranty? Can you have the P/O transfer the warranty to you?

Kit

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

The reverse button is STUCK!! You can take it apart and lube it with silicon dielectric grease, or pay Honda big bucks for a new switch. If you take it apart be VERRRRY careful because there are some very small parts in there. If you lose any of them you still pay Honda big bucks for a nes switch. There is nothing in the manual about how to do any of this. Don't ask how I know this stuff. : o )

Good Luck Bing

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

1. Starter /reverse motor will not turn for starting
* Check the reverse shift switch position.
Is the reverse shift switch in "off" position (neutral position)
NO - Push the reverse shift switch to shift the transmission into neutral.
YES - Go to step 2.

2. Battery Inspection
* Check that the battery is fully charged
Is the battery in good condition?
NO - Charge the battery
YES - Go to step 3.

3. Fuse Inspection
* Remove the left side cover and the fuse box cover.
Check the # 13 ST stop fuse (10 amp), # 15 RVS/START fuse (5 Amp), #2 RVS fuse B (5 amp)

Is the fuse blown?
NO - Go to step 4
YES - Replace the blown fuse(s)

4. Battery cable inspection
* Remove the left saddlebag
* Check the battery cable for a loose connection or poorly connected terminal at the battery and starter relay switch A and for an open circuit.

Is the battery cable in good condition?
NO - Poorly connected battery cable terminal.
YES - Go to step 5.

5. Starter Relay switch cable inspection.
* Check the starter relay switch cable for a loose or poorly connected terminal at the starter relay switches A & B, and for an open circuit.

Is the starter relay switch cable in good condition?
NO - Poorly connected starter relay switch cable terminal
YES - Go to step 6.

6. Starter Relay Switches A & B Operation Inspection
* Make sure that the engine stop switch is turned on to the (run) position. and turn the ignition switch to "ON".
Push the starter/reverse switch and check for a "click" sound from the starter relay switches A & B.

Do both switches click?

*NO - If both relay switches do not click, Go to step 9.
* If starter relay switch A clicks but switch B does not click, GO TO STEP 12.
YES - Go to step 7.

7. Starter / Reverse Motor Cable Inspection.
Remove the fuel tank.
* Check the starter / reverse motor cable for a loose or poorly connected terminal at the starter realy switch B and starter/reverse motor, and for an open circuit.

Is the starter/reverse motor cable in good condition?

NO - Poorly connected starter / reverse motor cable terminal.
Open circuit in the starter/reverse motor cable.
YES - GO TO STEP 8.

If you get this far and it still doesn't work. You will need to buy a service manual, there are 47 more pages to read.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Was looking at manual for service, is the mechanism under the fake gas tank cover? the manual seems to imply that i have to take all the panels off to get at it. the nose, windshield, seems like everything. is there a short cut before i go to this extreme.

P.S.- thanks to all you folks who have replied with suggestions. I am trying them and want to say thanks again.:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

My Photo Gallery - Reverse Actuator front access - Powered by PhotoPost

Right behind the front wheel and the lower fairing where the fog lights fit, take that fairing off, now up above that is a center inner fairing, take that off. Now follow the instructions to the manual page in the bookmarked link above. You need someone to help you and rock the bike back and forth while you gently turn the nut counterclockwise.

All that side cover stuff is to adust the cables and so on. Yes you may end up with much more to go after , but try this first.

Take Care and good luck.

Kit

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Kit was able to remove front belly pan where aux. lights are, then dropped shield panel above that. Whew! Had to loosen side inner panel to fairing. Found the shift mech. and turned it back as you said. Was able to roll bike at this point.Tried ignition switchagain and shiftlever once again moved over and locked up wheels. My bike is a 2002 the fuses are#10 rvs/start 5amp #11 rvs.a 5amp #12 rvs.b 5amp. #19 ign cruise 15amp #23 rvs shift I tried pulling #23 and it stopped the shift mtr from turning but the indicator light still shows yellow. I never see the green neutral light. The shift pedal feels like there is only two positions. the shift light blinked at a fast busy rate. Pulled #11 and #12 and #10 then the shift light stayed out. All fuses have been checked are are working properly. (used meter. Next I suppose I'll have to hit the book and trouble shoot relays. I do have a warranty plan and could probably take it to the dealer but purchase is so new I don't have paperwork back yet. I thought if it was something simple I'd fix it myself. This is not the first bike I've owned but the first wing. Do you have to have the green neutral light showing to start bike or can you just pull in clutch like most bikes to start. Thanks for all your help, I feel like I'm at least making headway, if I give up at least I can now roll it on the trailer. Didn't feel like dead lifting 800 lbs.

:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Whew!! What are you talking about?:D Tupper ware is a pain sometimes for sure :):).

Well at least you have it so it will roll, the internal idler gear has moved back into proper position on the shift drum . This is good. Sometimes that thing gets stuck so bad the engine has to come out.

Yes leave the fuse out and just start the bike in gear by pulling in the clutch. Most likely sitting and playing with the shift lever it is also jammed between gears , it will clear when it starts, if it starts.

Most likely when the reverse switch stuck in the engaged position and would not release and with more activity with trying to get it to release something has burned out such as a diode.

If it will start with the clutch pulled in with the fuse out, then you will most likely simply need to have the reverse switch cluster replaced, and may have a burned out diode in the reverse/cruise control module. And you can run the bike like that until you get it to the dealer.

If it will not start then there is more than one situation .

At this point with it working and rolling again, if it will not start, I myself would simply go to the manual and start with step one and work through it all. That is all I, you or the shop can do to find the cause. I can be several things and guessing only confuses the issue.

Kit

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Like I said the problem is THE REVERSE SWITCH. You are wasting your time with all that troublr shooting. Thak ehe switch apart and lube it and your problem will go away!

Bing

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Hello Dino,

I had the same problem with my 2003 G-Wing last week.

As I was backing out of the garage, the reverse switch got stuck in the "reverse" position, and I could not get it unstuck.

I made the mistake of turning off the ignition, and, of course, the motor would not start again (the gear-shift would not go into neutral!) And I could not move the bike at all (the starter-motor was engaged to the reverse)

As it happens, the bike was stuck right under the automatic garage door, and I could not leave it there. So desperate measures were needed.

I ended up dismantling the right-handle switch assembly-case, and after finding the wires to the "stuck" reverse switch, I disconected (cut) the wires going into the switch. This allowed the reversegear to disengage, and the gear to mechanically go into neutral. I was then able to push the bike back into the garage.

I've placed an order for a new switch-wire harness (of course, you have to purchase the entire starter-reverse harness)

Do you have the extended warranty on your bike? (I wish I had purchased this, since I think it would cover this problem)

I am grounded until the new harness arrives, and it will be an adventure to install.

good luck!

rcpilot - Tucson, AZ

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

If the switch is still stuck in, or even if it is not it may be stuck inside.

Try using a hair dryer to warm up the switch, takes a little while, and then try exercising it, you may be surprised!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hey Binge and the rest of you guys who helped me here-Thanks a bunch.

You were right about the switch , I was so new to this bike i didn't realize it was stuck in.!!! After doing some of the other things which now will keep me more up to speed i pulled that switch and lo it was stuck in. not only that one but also cruise and hi-way lights too. Repaired them and VIOLA ---start city was here. Wife heard motor run and came running wanting to know if it was ride time! ha ha.

thanks again allof you who posted You too Dark Side. Keep the wheels down and make milage.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

justed wanted to say darn! it was the handle bar switch. I didn't know enough to see realize it was stuck in. fixed it with red on my face...

Did get some much needed knowlege about machine on the way to recovery though.

Honda sure loves relays and lots of wires, more that my old lt1200. lots more crap to learn.

Also switch for cruise and hi-way were also stuck. got them fixed as well.

Thanks Dino :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Hi Dino Glad it worked for you. Happy New year!

Bing

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, I hope you did take the wife for a ride after all that hard work!! Good going!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

sorry, were sitting in 7" of snow and ice right now. All we can do is dream or trailer to some where warm, and what i have allready found is that like my old k1200lt this bike hates trailers too. ha ha

thanks dino

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.