Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have a trike in with the speedo not working. All other clocks work as they should and no mil light on.
Following instructions in the clymer have tested between the black/white wire and green earth and i have 11.2 volts.
The book says 0 to 5 volts with the wheel been turned.
Any suggestions please.
Cheers Bash

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Your problem is probably Clymer. This is a diagram of the speed sensor. A is power from the tail relay.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

This is Honda's troubleshooting if you don't have a code 11.
Product Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

But since it's a lot of work to remove the instrument pane on 01-05s I would test at C27 first.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have read it better as it said white/black.
Have no reading at the c27 and the combination meter.
The guy said it was working when he got off the bike then an hour later it was not.
Are we thinking vss or new gearbox at this point?
Cheers Bash

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
726 Posts
The guy said it was working when he got off the bike then an hour later it was not.
Cheers Bash
Make sure you have a good ground on the green wire and 5 volts on the blk/white wire when spinning the wheel. I f no voltage appears on the blk/white, there may be a open circuit. As
Dave said, it is powered by the tail light relay. The brn/wht wire on the talilight relay feeds the VSS.
I'm looking at a diagram for a 2004,but it should be the same.
Clymer manuals have been known to have many mistakes.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Cheers Bash
The VSS gets it's reading from 4th countershaft gear, if there was something wrong with the trans it would not have 4th gear. If you are getting 12v to the VSS on the black wire and nothing out of it on the pink wire the VSS is suspect.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,630 Posts
basher

did you read and act on the PM / Conversation I sent to you?

you have to click on on your Avatar ; it has a RED DOT at the right/top of this page....
with a PC/Laptop, it will NOT work with a Cellphone

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will check the pm this evening and thanks for that.
The 12v i had was the wrong wire. I have no reading at the white/black and green wires.
I do have continuity with earth so that's fine.
Should the pink wire have 12v?
Cheers

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i have 5v at the tail light relay and nothing at the brown/white wire at the c27 plug.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
You should have 12v at the tail light relay. Do the tail lights & instrument lights work?

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes they do but i am beginning to wonder about my tester so heading off for a new battery and try that again.

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok new multimeter and we have 12v brown/white and green and 12v at the relay so power in all good. I guess that means the vss has gone caput.
Can these be ordered new from honda?
Cheers Bash

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
726 Posts
You say "we have 12v brown/white and green?" The green is ground. If you have 12 volts on the green wire, it is not going to ground.
Check continuity from the green wire to a known good ground.

If it is indeed grounded, check for the 5 volt pulse at the pink wire while turning the rear wheel.
Key on in neutral.

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry i mean 12v between brown/white and green and there no pulse while turning the wheel.

cheers

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Ok new multimeter and we have 12v brown/white and green and 12v at the relay so power in all good. I guess that means the vss has gone caput.
Can these be ordered new from honda?
Cheers Bash
Did you check again for a 5v pulse on the pink wire? Yes it can be had from Honda.

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah there's no voltage at all on the pink wire.
Will get that ordered today.
Thanks for the help guys.
Bash

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
726 Posts
Price from MRcycles:
SENSOR ASSY., SPEED
37700-MCA-003
$93.63

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,393 Posts
In that diagram there are only 3 connections. Power, ground and 5V pulse out when the rear wheel is turned. Where/how is the signal from the rear wheel applied to the speed sensor? I don't question that it does, I just don't see how it's connected.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
726 Posts
In that diagram there are only 3 connections. Power, ground and 5V pulse out when the rear wheel is turned. Where/how is the signal from the rear wheel applied to the speed sensor? I don't question that it does, I just don't see how it's connected.
The square box shown is representative of the actual speed sensor. The three wires are are shown going to C27.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts