Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Fellas........

I ran across a '03 gl1800 Illusion Blue yesterday. The fellow wants to sell before winter, so he doesn't have to store it. The bike only has 2800 miles on it. The battery is on a shelf as it has not been runmuch thisyear. He has never had the bike back for service because it only has 2800 miles. That is a little scary......kind of. So, I know the tires are old and all the fluids need to be brought up to date. But, what scares the livin' heck out me is this frame cracking issue and the recall involved. And, I hear some grumbling about an over heating problem. I am also aware of master cylinder issues and wrong size screws used to fasten the bank angle sensor. I can work thru the minor things, but what about the frame issue? Will honda fix it being this old? What about the overheating? Bike has been stored inside, and I don't think the owner has a clue about the recalls. I think I can buy it VERY reasonable....... but should I? Do all these bikes have bad frames?

Or should Iwalk away from a potential mellon?

Need some good solid advise here. :congrats:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

If you can get it at a good price I would jump on it...
You can bring it up to date for just a few $$$ and with only 2800 on it it's still NEW!! I have a 2006 and deal with 100% + for a good part of the year, It was 100% today and in the city have never had an issue. The frame should be covered under the recall. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I have a 2003 that went thru the recall with nothing needing repaired. I don't know the percentages that did. I would think you could get new tires, which I would, change all fluids and have every thing inspected for around a thousand or less. If you could buy it and put that thousand into it and have a total of 12,000 in it I think it would be a good deal. I love my 2003. Problem free so far.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
imported post

As far as the overheating problem it's kind of a non issue as far as I'm concerned...
mine has never gone above normal but then I'm in a cooler climate... they did add a bigger rad in 2006 but according to what I have read here they still can overheat..so I wouldn't worry about it ..as far as cracked frames it appears on the frame tubing behind the passenger floorbord on 01 to 04 models it does happen but it's rare

Attachments

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,663 Posts
imported post

I would buy it.... don't borrow tomorrows troubles today.

new tires and a full service, then ride it like you stole it.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
As the others said

Went through the frame check this summer. No issues, just like the master cylinder. Change the fluids, tires, and put some miles on it. Never had any heating problems, even when it was 100+ here.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
I got an '02 in late July and took it into the local dealer and he checked for any recalls and even though he said they had all been performed, he took a look at the frame for me anyway. Just to make me feel good. It only took about an hour or so, it gave me time to browse around the parts department to see all the stuff I wasn't gonna buy anyway.

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
The overheating is only a problem if you do a lot of riding at 15-20mph and the newer models still have that issue. That is something that you can deal with yourself if you need to. The recalls are still in effect so that is a non issue also.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I trully value each and everyones opinion. I think I shall offer the seller what NADA and KBB considers average trade in value and see what happens. This all came to fruition when his wife told me he was considering taking it to the dealer he bought it from and see what they would give him for it. I was there installing a new tv on their fireplace, and remarked how nice the bike was. I had no idea that it only had 2800 miles. I mentioned to her if he was going to do that, to please call me and let me know how much he wanted. He called 2 days later and we had a nice visit, although we have not discussed money yet. I would not be suprised if he accepts my offer.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. I trully value each and everyones opinion. I think I shall offer the seller what NADA and KBB considers average trade in value and see what happens. This all came to fruition when his wife told me he was considering taking it to the dealer he bought it from and see what they would give him for it. I was there installing a new tv on their fireplace, and remarked how nice the bike was. I had no idea that it only had 2800 miles. I mentioned to her if he was going to do that, to please call me and let me know how much he wanted. He called 2 days later and we had a nice visit, although we have not discussed money yet. I would not be suprised if he accepts my offer.

His wife may encourage him to accept your offer. ;)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I bought my 03 Illusion Blue 24 months ago for just under 12K, and it had 6,400 miles on it. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I realize market value will differ from area to area but it won't hurt to make a low ball offer and see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.