Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I need some help in deciding what to do. I am in the process of buying a 2003 GL1800 with 24k miles on it. The bike is 400 away sitting in a dealer’s warehouse waiting for them to put on a rear tire and inspect the bike. When the owner brought the bike to the dealer there was a ticking noise near the headers, sounded like the values but I’m not sure. Therefore I decided to leave it there so the dealer could look at it and let us know if it was anything serous before I bought it and brought it home. The dealer has had the bike for about three weeks and hasn’t looked at it yet. In addition, I read an online review of the dealer and it wasn’t very good.

I need some input into whether I should bring the bike back to my dealer to look at and paid the out of pocket expense or skip the deal. I have to tell you that the asking price and the extras that come with the low mileage Orange bike is exceptional.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

David:18gold:

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

This bike has low milage, check to see if there is a service history, The 1800 are chain driven not belt driven, therefore they are louder when ticking over, when revved up this thicking noise should disappear, valves shims might need adjusting but at this milage i dont think that you have to worry about mechanical problems.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome chaosandconfusion[/align]
[align=center]If it sounds like a[/align]
[align=center]sewing machine[/align]
[align=center]then it is a normal sound[/align]
[align=center]for the Goldwing[/align]
[align=center]because they all "tick" when running[/align]
[align=center]:waving:[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

It might be the fuel injectors along with the valve gear. My 07 has ticked its way to 62,000 + miles.

Welcome to the forum CC.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

agree re:ticking injectors, the 1800 is so quiet that sounds that are normal but usualy not heard over the louder engine noise, can and will be heard. My 2007 has a tick that is best heard from te right side, always assumed it was an injector, but have had no problems with the bike.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum David. The ticking could either be a sticking injector, or valve shims needing replacement. Hard to say at that mileage. If both the dealer and you have doubts about it what the problem is, maybe walk away from this one before you have to start throwing money at it.

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
imported post

It might be an exhaust leak, just a loose header nut maybe. But if the dealer has a poor reputation maybe you should look elsewhere anyway.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

ChaosandConfusion wrote:
Hi all,

I need some help in deciding what to do. I am in the process of buying a 2003 GL1800 with 24k miles on it. The bike is 400 away sitting in a dealer’s warehouse waiting for them to put on a rear tire and inspect the bike. When the owner brought the bike to the dealer there was a ticking noise near the headers, sounded like the values but I’m not sure. Therefore I decided to leave it there so the dealer could look at it and let us know if it was anything serous before I bought it and brought it home. The dealer has had the bike for about three weeks and hasn’t looked at it yet. In addition, I read an online review of the dealer and it wasn’t very good.

I need some input into whether I should bring the bike back to my dealer to look at and paid the out of pocket expense or skip the deal. I have to tell you that the asking price and the extras that come with the low mileage Orange bike is exceptional.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

David:18gold:

[email protected]
I recently bought one of the "sunburst orange" '02's. I ended up buying it out of town, and yes it was also a great deal. They knocked it out of the park with that color.. and there's not alot of them around for some reason.

Mine also had low-mileage at the time about 34k...

Though I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary "tick" wise.. I did take it to my local dealer for an oil-change and inspection..and to get it back on a regular service schedule... and generally give it some love...

That dealer was able to tell me basically the whole history on that particular bike... factory recalls.. what work had been performed.. and when.. etc...

It might be in your best interest to have it inspected before buying it.. or if you can get the VIN on it, possibly your local dealer can tell you more about it just with that.

Good deals are always out there.... thing is... you have to sieze them... or be prepared to wait out for the next good deal.

As I said, bought mine out of town..reason is, there wasn't any in this area that were worth the money..the guy wanted too much for the one I really wanted..and even though I offered him good/fair money he wouldn't budge... I was pretty bummed, it was an '02 that was pristine with only 16k miles.. I figured out though he really did me a favor.... check it out..

I came home and did a "state-wide" craigslist search(just google it).. and found the bike of my dreams about 150miles from me.. took a drive the next day and brought her home... The bike I ended up getting far surpass's the original one I wanted, and it came with all accessories, AND a trailer..it was cleaner and prettier then the first one... for about a grand less!!! I didn't even grind him on the price.. I layed right down and gave him full asking price, no questions.. I didn't want this deal going south too, and I wasn't taking any chances..

So.. moral is.. yes there's good deals out there...but...there's also better deals if you hang out a bit. PM me if you want to compare notes on prices and such.. I wouldn't mind sharing what I paid if you want to comp it with your deal..

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I assume you have looked at the bike and perhaps toke it for a spin. If it all look's good and the price is like you say outstanding id jump on it. Get it home and go throw it. and see if it's worth keeping. If there are issues yo are not happy with after that you should be able to resell and recoup your investment
Wilf

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well I have decided to go with the bike. The seller is going to reduce the price by $500 and have their dealer just replace the rear tire. I will use the price reduction to have my dealer look at the bike. So here’s the complete deal.

2003 GW with 24k miles, two unused Nolan helmets with mic and stereo in place, an extra chrome rack for the trunk and Honda line insert bags, all for $11,000 And its Orange!

Hopefully by September I will be ready to ride to Ohio from Florida. I was thinking of joining the GW association in case anything comes up during the ride.

Thank you all for your input.

Happy trails!

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

Good for you. I'm sure the bike will be fine. The ticking is almost certainly the injectors. (My 03 does it too..) The valves are shim under bucket, and those get tighter as time & mileage go on, not looser. So you wouldn't hear ticking from them.
Your bike will be due for a valve check at 32K miles, but generally they don't need any adjustment, or very little adjustment at that point. People have gone for the life of the bike (and Goldwings lead a VERY long and miles filled life)without any valve check at all. (Not that I recommend that..)

My experiences with GWRRA towing were not what I would call stellar. Unless you saw where my temper went.. Anyway, AAA has a package that includes motorcycles, it's their RV package (I think) just food for thought.

Good luck with the new ride, feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or ask the hive-mind here at the forum

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hi just cleaning up some old post for future readers.

The ticking noise turned out to be a lifter that came loose. This probably occurred because the original owner had the bike sitting in his garage for a while and didn’t take proper storage precautions. Upon inspection my mechanic found a dead mouse in the air-filter and a lot of mud-dobber wasp nests.
We took off the headers and polished the hole that the value stems go into and cleaned up the area.
It now runs like a top and I am planned my delay trip. I was spared replacing the engine, if the lift would have falling into the piston while riding, I would have been royally . . . .

I have learned a few things about this incident. Although I still don’t understand why someone would spend $25 grand on a bike and not take care of it??

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Thx for the ticking closure Chaos, very interesting.

Hmm, lack of care on expensive life dependent toys always amazes me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.