Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While traveling about 300 mile the FI light came on but ran fine. Stoped for fuel the FI light went off and stayed off for about 50 miles. It came back on and after about 50 miles it started to act like the fuel pump was going out and would hardly run. Parked it over night and started it and all was fine haven’t rode it today.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800
13 Posts
Did you happen to get the code from the FI light before you killed the bike? If not & it comes on again, stop & put in neutral but do not turn it off. Count the long & short flashes. Long = 10, short = 1. Bet it comes up with code of 25 or 26...knock sensor malfunction. You can swap them with each other & see if you get the same code, which you probably will. Lots of info on the forum, but my bet it’s the ECM (engine control module). Seems to be the Achilles heel of the early 1800’s...including my ‘03. The ECM is expensive, but once replaced, you shouldn’t have another problem with it. Just buy new, not used.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
my '02 did that about 3 years ago.
instead of swapping the sensors, we used a DVM that has a Frequency Measuring mode.

connected the DVM to the ECM terminal for the Left O2 Sensor, and used a ball pien hammer to tap the engine case next to the sensor.

the DVM showed a very fast Wave Form while displaying the frequency numbers....

Proved the sensor was good, and the wire harness is good, but the ECM is not...
I lucked out and found a '04 bike being parted out, after having met a solid object at 50+ mph.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
This link will show up all of the ECMs or 'ECUs' as some folks call them, that are listed on eBay.

scroll down pass the Craigslist stuff

·
Administrator
26,530 Posts
Did you happen to get the code from the FI light before you killed the bike? If not & it comes on again, stop & put in neutral but do not turn it off. Count the long & short flashes. Long = 10, short = 1. Bet it comes up with code of 25 or 26...knock sensor malfunction. You can swap them with each other & see if you get the same code, which you probably will. Lots of info on the forum, but my bet it’s the ECM (engine control module). Seems to be the Achilles heel of the early 1800’s...including my ‘03. The ECM is expensive, but once replaced, you shouldn’t have another problem with it. Just buy new, not used.
You have to also put the side stand down for the codes to blink.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info I started the bike this morning and no fi light. I am 600 miles from home will check code when it comes on. Have a truck with trailer just in case

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
It should get you home. Though it may stall at stops or slight stumble on take off.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
I rode my '02 for several thousand miles with that FI light burning.
all it did was put the ECM into "Limp Mode" and made the fuel mixture richer than it needed to be.
That prevents it from having 'Knocking' occurring...

while that FI light was looking at me, the mpg was always in the 29-33 mpg range.

once the ECM was replaced, it jumped to to 37+ and sometimes 40+

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have 600 miles ride home will attempt to ride it home just in case have a pickup with us going to rent a trailer just in case it stalls
Thanks for the reply

1 - 9 of 9 Posts