Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking at a 2003 GW with nearly 113K. Should I be concerned about the mileage? Any known troubles or issues on that particular year? 2nd owner, bought it but has put like 1000 miles in last 1 year.

Appreciate the help and guidance. Thank you.

·
Magic Moderator
4,438 Posts
NADA lists the retail at $4,705.00. KBB lists the trade in at $4595.00. Pricing also depends upon your area as well.
If you can obtain the VIN and take it to the local Honda dealer they can tell you if the recalls have been done, as its on file. The recall work costs you nothing to have done, but with two owners they should have been done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2002 with 110,000 miles and it rides and performs as good as it did when I bought it new. It has only had oil/filter changes, fork seals about every 25K miles, rear suspension hose upgrade, tires, and progressive springs installed. All in all I consider that all to be normal maintenance. In fact, just the other day, I was thinking that the spark plugs have NEVER been changed and I started to feel a little guilty. But it runs perfectly so...… There is a reason Honda has had such a long run with the 1832cc engine. Go for it..... Jim

·
Administrator
58,459 Posts
I have a 2002 with 114,000 miles on it, no signs of any frame issues at all.

It runs just like it came off the Showroom floor back in 2002.

I am never concerned with mileage on a Goldwing as long as the maintenance has been done.

1984, bought that one with 57,000+
1986 SEi bought it with about 50k or more
1994 SE had 57,000 on it
1998 SE had 50ish on it, can't remember anymore.

All of them performed like a new bike.

the '94SE had sat for 2 years in Phoenix, AZ and the carbs were gunked up, but I fixed that with Sea Foam and replace two vacuum lines. Ran like new after that.

·
Administrator
25,025 Posts
I'm convinced those frame cracks are caused by overloading and the too soft stock suspension bottoming out. It is a pretty harsh jar when the rear shock bottoms.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I would be much less worried about a 16 year old bike with 100,000 miles that had been run and maintained regularly, than one with 20,000 that had sat unused for 10 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve got an ‘02 with 102k. Love the bike but do have some transmission slippage in overdrive. Runs great and has had this issue since I bought it at 85k, more pronounced now. Will likely ask around $3.7-$4k due to issue. Beautiful bike with extras. Local dealer offered $3k. Hear often of GWs getting 200k, if they maintain well wouldn’t be too worried about the mileage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually it's a 2002 and not 2003, would that make any difference and I can possibly get it for under $3K.

Think it seems to be a good deal? Will ask for maintenance history and recalls status.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve got an ‘02 with 102k. Love the bike but do have some transmission slippage in overdrive. Runs great and has had this issue since I bought it at 85k, more pronounced now. Will likely ask around $3.7-$4k due to issue. Beautiful bike with extras. Local dealer offered $3k. Hear often of GWs getting 200k, if they maintain well wouldn’t be too worried about the mileage.
is this a known issue on 2002 specific models?

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I've got a 2003 ABS Model with 117,600 miles on it available for $5500. It runs great.
I bought a 2017 and this one needs a new rider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts