Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought the bike last Spring and it has a whine in the motor. It starts and runs great. I get about 40 mpg loaded down riding two up. Plenty of power.

I took it to the local Honda shop for a safety inspection and the guy at the shop said thats how all 18oo's sound. Really??

Anyone else have this experience? Any idea how to make it quiten down?:?

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

William are you trying to get an 1800 cheap????;)

Most 1800's whine, you may be hearing the alternator drive gear whine. Mine does but it is not annoying.

The alternator is driven directly by the engine and has a drive assembly that increases the speed of the alternator through gears.

Go take a test drive on another 1800 and see if it sounds similar.

If it gets really bad you may have a bad ADG (Alternator Drive Gear), but that is very spendy to replace.

Others will come along with better info for you soon.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Also - you could possibly be hearing the timing chains whining. I know 3 people with 1800s and they all make the same whiny noise.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

They do whine, and the models made after 2006 whine even louder. Honda Goldwhines. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

I'm still looking for the supercharger on mine. I know it's in there somewhere because I can hear it:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

I remember hearing 1 that didn't whine. I think there was something wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Maybe a change in the brand of oil you are using will help.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Well i picked up a 1500 this summer with the tall winshield. The engine tranni sounded horible. Not loud just a constantmechanical sound annoying. I cut the windshield down and that helped alot but was still there.
So I have to wear ear plugs and crank the sterio when i ride go figure. Love the soundof the engine pipes on the 2 smaller wingsbut the 1500 has no exhaust noise to cover the engine tranni noises sono ear plugswith them !

Wilf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.