Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sensor is in my hand. Pictured here is the left side. I am trying to put things back together but I can't remember where this goes. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions. I am not going to go any further with this until I figure this out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I replaced the recalled brake valve behind the radiator. I waited two weeks for the part to arrive which means there is too much time passing for my short term memory.

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
It should be between the rear of the radiator & the frame on the main wiring harness.

·
1,599 Posts
I replaced the recalled brake valve behind the radiator. I waited two weeks for the part to arrive which means there is too much time passing for my short term memory.
I havent heard about an recall for any brake valve ( i know about the recall for the "rear master cylinder" and the "secondary master cylinder" ).
Please tell me more !

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
If it was a recall I would have let the dealer do it. Enlighten us on that recall, I never heard of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should be between the rear of the radiator & the frame on the main wiring harness.
I will find it again, the recall deals with the proportion control valve and the vin specific method for testing the PCV. My apologies for not having saved in my files. I was frustrated once I learned Honda would not honor this. My motorcycle vin was involved. The local dealership was most helpful. More information will follow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 320438 Sensor is in my hand. Pictured here is the left side. I am trying to put things back together but I can't remember where this goes. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions. I am not going to go any further with this until I figure this out.
Thanks so much for the helpful replies. This repair has been a really interesting journey for me. The manual really helped with all sorts of issues. I am posting the picture that speaks of this relay.

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
I found the relay, thanks to a Clymers manual. The relay belongs to the fan and is connected on the lower fan shroud mounting bolt.
What relay? The fan relay is in the relay box under the seat. I thought you were looking for the fan connector.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the relay location, Clymers places this 1" square relay with a bolt loop on the end on the front lower end of the radiator and the fan. I am going to post a picture.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/leakage recall.pdf" the Recall for the proportional control valve that started my repair. 2002-2003- 2004 GL 1800 and 1800A models are affected . The top of the page reads service bulletin but in bold letters it is a safety recall. I remember traveling down root 66 and lost the rear brakes. I was able to complete the journey by using on the front brakes. Because the brakes are linked the PCV leaks and fluid blows by causing you to loose your back brake pressure. If the link won't work I found it by doing a google search for proportional control vavle. The form also has a place to apply for reimbursement. The valve cost me $260 normal delivery from Partzilla and my card was hacked immediately following the purchase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it was a recall I would have let the dealer do it. Enlighten us on that recall, I never heard of it.
I found it with a google search for the proportional control valve. It was published in February of 2005. It affects 2002,2003 and 2004 goldwings. There is a list of affected vin numbers on the publication. The link I have tried to post here doesn't work. "http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/leakage recall.pdf"

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found it on the lower front portion of the radiator. There is a bolt that connects the fan with radiator and secures them both. The relay is approximately 1 inch square, a small wire and a loop. I found it in the Clymers manual.
Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
View attachment 320438 Sensor is in my hand. Pictured here is the left side. I am trying to put things back together but I can't remember where this goes. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions. I am not going to go any further with this until I figure this out.
Now - the latest update, I put things back together and I was able to get it started a couple of times but not since. It cranks but won't start. The picture shows the ecu that was lifted to remove the air box and replace the air filter. I was already that far. I am wondering about a wiring issue now.

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
I found the relay location, Clymers places this 1" square relay with a bolt loop on the end on the front lower end of the radiator and the fan. I am going to post a picture.
I was asking what the relay is for. Doesn't matter but I still don't know why you didn't take it to the dealer, it is a recall after all?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts