Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My clock and tripmeters continually reset to zero every time I start the bike.

I set the clock and go for a ride. The clock works fine. The trip meters record my mileage fine. I stop the bike and turn it off. When I turn the key back on, the clock is still set, and the trip meters still show the miles ridden. When I actually start the bike,the clock resets to 1:00 and the trip meters reset to zero. I have no idea why this is happening and don't really have an idea what I should be checking either.

Anyone else ever have a similar problem, or perhaps at least an idea what might be causing the problem? Any assistance would be and is always greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

That sounds like a battery going bad, dumping all the power to the starter and none left for the gauges memory. But check fuse #22 first, if it isn't blown then you need to try another battery.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Will do right now. Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well I checked fuse #22 and it was good. I put the volt meter on the battery and it was reading about 12.6 volts. When I cranked the bike it dropped to about 8 volts for a couple of seconds and jumped to 11 for a couple of seconds when the bike started and then to 14.4 volts.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Battery goin' bad is the only time it happened to me.

I'm with choppas

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Me too. Battery voltage shouldn't drop that low. I think 10 is the magic number. Does it crank real fast or is it a little sluggish?

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Ripper wrote:
When I cranked the bike it dropped to about 8 volts for a couple of seconds.

That's your problem. It shouldn't drop below 10 volts.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well there seems to be a concensus, so I'll be getting a battery in a day or two. Thanks to all of you for the immediate help.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

not familiar with the 1800's but there should be a fuse somewhere in the circuits that supplies a key off voltage to those circuits,if its blown would be the reason that everything resets once the mc is restarted

on the 1200 there is a 3A fuse in the left fairing pocket that accomplishes that,not sure on a 15 or 18

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

neilrupp wrote:
Ripper,

Did you ever solve this reset problem? I have the exact same problem. Help, Neil
Hi Neil. First let me appologize to everyone who has read this threadfor not letting everyone know the end result.

Yes Neil, replacing the battery solved my problem. I do also leave the bike on a battery tender at all times nowwhen it's not being ridden.

There is another post on here below yours and that might be the answer to your problem since the battery is not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.