Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok guys...you'll be happy to hear this!! The Hog is sold :clapper:and I'm ready to buy the new 1800, but I want someone to verify for me that the frame issues of of 01-04 models were addresed by the 05 model. A local dealer told me that the frames now have extra gusseting around the weak areas of the previous models. Does anyone know this for sure? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Well if they have, they sure don't look any different. The weld should be a bit thicker than on previous models but this might be hard to see unless you have an 05 and an older model to compare.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey xhdpilot :waving: You might be better to wait a few months. :stumped: If you look at the photo on the thread "2006 GL 1800" :clapper: there appears to be a lot of changes on her. :stumped: If these are correct, :stumped:dont you guys in the states get the '06 model around Sept/Oct :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hello xhdpilot. Many people think that at least some 05's will be recalled later in the year or early next year, simply because the welds look the same as before (at least on the three 05's I checked). Honda would be daft to recall them now because noody would buy them and Honda already know the chanes of frames failing are already slim so they will take a marketing risk and sell the 05's for the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info............I think! Geez, I sold the HD with the hopes of replacing it with a Wing, and now I'm notsure I want to go there.

The '06 Wing poll going looks like a prank to me, just a picture of a tarted up '05?

Is the frame fix a big deal mechanically, i.e., is it a total dissasembly of the bike, and of the ones that any of you have had done, did you get your bike back in good shape?

I'm open to suggestions guys.....

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

xhdpilot wrote:
Ok guys...you'll be happy to hear this!! The Hog is sold :clapper: and I'm ready to buy the new 1800, but I want someone to verify for me that the frame issues of of 01-04 models were addressed by the 05 model. A local dealer told me that the frames now have extra gusseting around the weak areas of the previous models. Does anyone know this for sure? Thanks!
First, Have you ridden a Wing? And second, the frame issue should be gone on the 2005's as Honda engineer's have gone through the design. When you go to test drive a Wing be prepared to ride it home...it's that good. The Wing is a 911 Porsche on two wheels.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I couldn't have said it better. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Go for it xhdpilot. Hope you enjoy many miles of pleasure on your new 1800.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The latest saga on the new wing to be is this; the local dealers (San Diego, California) are now telling me that Wings are hard to get (4-6 weeks,heck, even Harley doesn't make you wait that long any more) due to Honda "slowing production" of the bike. Why are they slowing production, shouldn't this frame issue be an assembly line fix? Is this a warning? or a true statement. I've never been more confused:gunhead:...and yes, West Wing, I have ridden one and think they are awonderful bike (for the 20 minutes I rode it) and I want one, but with all ofthe issues lately it, I wonder what Honda is up to and don't want to get caught in the middle of something I'll regret 20k later!....

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

xhdpilot,

It is hard to tell what it means...it could mean that the US economy has slowed down, and Honda is compensating for that with reduced production or a myriad of other things. Have you also considered simply buying a used GL1800 with low mileage? There were some owners who simply wanted out when the frame issue kept raising its head. I've gone through all the recalls, and I am quite happy with my Wing. You'd save money with used one and can move onto the next generation Wing model when it is released, which is exactly what I intend to do, but I'll still probably keep my GL1800 too. A "pre-owned" (used) Wing well cared for is the same as driving off the lot a few hundred miles with a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Redwing.. I have found in the past that the Honda dealers bring out the new models as soon as they are run out of the factory in VA. The month they show up in the showrooms varies due to dealer orders. Way back when,,,,,,, Dealers of motorcycles AND automobiles displayed the new models in Sept or OcT, but now it's "anything goes" at anytime.

It gets a little crazy here in the states..

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Don't forget that Honda actuall stopped production for a while in 2003 as well, I think because of the frame issue. Maybe they had to get extra frames or examine all the ones in stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.