Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lucy 1994
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me 2005 GL1800 is a great machine, but the sound system is anemic. At full blast, it can't be heard above 60 mph, and basses and trebles are 'mushy'. The sound advance with speed doesn't seem to work at all. Big contrast with my '94 GL1500, which has great sound quality and volume even blasting along on the interstate. I had read that replacing factory speakers with Show Chrome's replacement speakers helps, but found the PO had already done this; since I had already bought new speakers, I put them in anyway, to no avail. Someone else suggested the amp on the radio itself might be shot. I've thought about an in-helmet system, like JM, that plugs directly into the radio, but not sure I want the wires and am concerned about hearing traffic around me. Anyone had this issue and addressed it?

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
That's probably why they did a serious upgrade to the 06 models sound system. In helmet speakers do help a lot at high speeds.

·
Lucy 1994
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the mute button pushed in?
Nope. I get sound of course, but it can't be heard above 60 and basses/trebles are mushy like speakers are blown. Replaced them to no effect, so wondering it's the amp in the radio itself. Also, the sound 'boost' with speed feature doesn't seem to work like it does on my GL1500.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
lf. Also, the sound 'boost' with speed feature doesn't seem to work like it does on my GL1500.
Do you have the AVC turned on?

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I have a 2019 and cant hear mine at speed with helmet on. Raise the visor on helmet and can hear noise from radio but couldn't name song for the life of me. I use helmet speakers and my phone for music. Wish we could make those Harley speaker systems work on Goldwings, LOL

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Yes, but unlike my GL1500 which works great, can't tell any effect from this.
I wonder if it lost the connection to the speed signal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts