Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to drive about 80mileseachwaylate tomorrowafternoon to test drive an 05GL1800 and justneed to pick yourbrains.

I have been reading for hours and can't seem to find out much. From the factory what is on the Aspencade for 2005 that isn't on standard051800's?

I think these are two of the differences but could be wrong.

1. rear spoiler

2. some kind of additonalfork covers

I found out a lot of interesting threads about replacing parts on the 1800. The water pump and alternator is a PITA. You would think that they would have made things easier in later years. Not bad at all the 1500.

This 1800 only has 16k on it so maybe the only new thing I would have to learnis how to change the air filter unless the tires are worn again.

Big question here. If i do buy it will I need to change the suspension partsso it won't ride rough with the original suspensionlike some have said? I am 180 and my wife 120 lbs.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

The 1800s have no Aspencades,most come from the factory loaded...

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

When i went to look up parts for 2005 , it listed 1800 and 1800A. What is 1800A?
thanks

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Just found the answer i think at Kelly Blue Book..... 1800A is ABS model.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

2005 is the 30th anniversary model.

Easy back tire change-5 lug nuts(try that with the 1500)

You ride it-------------it will follow you home.

50,000+ trouble free miles on mine thus far.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Yup, the 1800A is with ABS brakes. Heck, mine doesn't have ABS, but with the car tire, it stops plenty fast, and doesn't skid. And, I have the spoiler, and plenty of other goodies, that makes it just right for traveling long distances in comfort. I rarely ever think about my 93 Aspythat I traded in for this big banana, although it was a great bike.:claps::claps:

Gene:action:

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

Indianawantsme wrote:
I am going to drive about 80mileseachwaylate tomorrowafternoon to test drive an 05GL1800 and justneed to pick yourbrains.

I have been reading for hours and can't seem to find out much. From the factory what is on the Aspencade for 2005 that isn't on standard051800's?

I think these are two of the differences but could be wrong.

1. rear spoiler

2. some kind of additonalfork covers

I found out a lot of interesting threads about replacing parts on the 1800. The water pump and alternator is a PITA. You would think that they would have made things easier in later years. Not bad at all the 1500.

This 1800 only has 16k on it so maybe the only new thing I would have to learnis how to change the air filter unless the tires are worn again.

Big question here. If i do buy it will I need to change the suspension partsso it won't ride rough with the original suspensionlike some have said? I am 180 and my wife 120 lbs.
The spoiler is added on, not factory. Don't know about the fork covers, they all have them standard, maybe there is an aftermarket add on.
Never heard of anyone having to change a water pump even at over 200.000 miles and the alternators seldom fail either.
On the suspension you will have to wait and see, with your and the SOs weight I doubt you will need any modifications unless you are an aggressive rider and want better handling and ground clearance in the twisties.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

There are only two flavors available for the 01-05 Goldwing, ABS or non-ABS. Everything else is identical. Things like rear spoilers CB's chrome, etc, cannot be ordered from the factory. They are purchased separately from the dealer and installed by the customer or dealer.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks.
Somebody bought it on the crappy, rainy Thursday and didn't even drive it. Former customer said he wss going to pick it up today and pay for it. They had it since August i was told and I was going to drive the 80miles there to test drive it Friday. :sobbing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.